Baby deer do need your help
- Record broken again. Smith, Richard P. // Bowhunter;Aug/Sept97, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p20
Reports that two 18-pointer bucks were shot in Michigan on Halloween Day 1996. Michigan's record for the largest buck shot before the 18-pointers were shot; Names of the persons who shot the deer.
- Scent glands. Samuel, Dave // Bowhunter;Oct/Nov97 Special Issue, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p28
Presents information on the scent glands of deers. How these glands work; Details on the findings of a study which examined the variations of scent glands in deers; Reference to a book entitled `Understanding Whitetails.'
- Bowhunter 1998 deer forecast. Canfield, Dave // Bowhunter;Sep98 Special Issue, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p52
Presents a survey on deer in the United States for 1998. Estimated deer population; Number of bowhunters; Cost of resident deer tags and resident archery tags; Dates for the archery season; What are considered as the best areas for hunting.
- How to control deer. // Horticulture;Apr87, Vol. 65 Issue 4, p66
Tips on evicting deer from gardens. Deer habitats and food preferences. Deer control methods include barriers, sprays and plants which deter deer. INSET: Deer repellents.;Electric fences..
- Deer forecast 1990. Bethge, G. // Outdoor Life;Sep90, Vol. 186 Issue 3, p79
Reports that this season there are more deer in the forest, plains and mountains of the United States than ever before despite major loss of habitat. Reasons why; Population forecasts for several states.
- Deer hunting report '90. Cochran, R. // Outdoor Life;Sep90, Vol. 186 Issue 3, p132
Reports that with growing deer populations and liberalized hunting regulations in most of the East, predictions are that the 1990s will be starting out right this fall. Outlines what hunters can expect in each of the 12 East states this season.
- Maine deer harvest tracking up. Vanderweide, H. // Outdoor Life;Apr92, Vol. 189 Issue 4, p12
Comments on how Maine's 1991 deer harvest exceeded last year's total by about seven percent. Continued growth of deer herd; Hunting season dates.
- New York deer herd and harvest increase. Cochran, R. // Outdoor Life;Jul92, Vol. 190 Issue 1, p7
States that New York's recent mild winters have led to an increased deer herd and a record harvest last season, according to the department of environmental conservation (DEC). DEC goals; Expected to receive authority for more flexibility in issuing permits.
- Maine rezones parcel for wintering deer. Vanderweide, Harry // Outdoor Life;Aug92, Vol. 190 Issue 2, p8
Reports that Maine's northern deer herd got a break recently when 1,841-acres of state-owned forest land in Piscataquis County was rezoned as a deer wintering area. Location of rezoned deer yard area; Guidelines for deer wintering.
- Downtown deer. Scheff, Ed // Outdoor Life;Dec95, Vol. 196 Issue 6, p34
Looks at the footage from a home movie of wildlife in Southhampton, New York. Increased population of deer; Views by resident John Bennett; How to hunt trophy bucks.