Lilac time in Rochester: It happens every spring
- In lilac time. Shields, Hatsy // House Beautiful;May98, Vol. 140 Issue 5, p94
Discusses the nature of the flower lilacs. Listing of flower festivals in the United States that feature lilacs; Criteria for perfect lilacs qualities according to Jack Alexander, chief propagator at the Arnold Arboretum; Comment from Roger Coggeshall, former chief propagator at Arnold...
- Lilacs and T-shirts. K. D. // Garden Design;May2002, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p16
Comments on several flower festivals focusing on lilacs in the U.S. in 2002. Schedule of events; Festival venues; Contact information.
- Lilacs for remembrance. Tozer, Eliot // Early American Homes;1997 Special Issue Gardens Issue, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p74
Offers information on lilacs. Documentation of its earth history; Species and varieties available; Lilacs as symbol of affection; Lilacs as the state flower of New Hampshire.
- Summer lilacs for butterflies. Dean, Molly // Flower & Garden;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p18
Offers a look at Buddleia davidii (B. davidii) or butterfly bushes which are also called summer lilacs. Features and characteristics of the plant; What makes the butterfly bushes attractive to butterflies and other winged creatures; Hybrids of the plant; Characteristics of the variegated plant;...
- Step-by-step. Allen, O. // Horticulture;Mar88, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p36
Although lilacs are hearty, long-lived shrubs, without regular attention they become scraggly and overgrown. Almost all lilacs can be renovated by bold pruning. Steps to take in pruning overgrown lilacs.
- Lilacs. Alexander III, John H. // Horticulture;May98, Vol. 95 Issue 5, p34
Discusses the characteristics of the flower lilacs. Ability to grow in sunny places; Need for lime application to be healthy; Factors that affect the blooming of lilacs; Transplantation; Winter pruning; Tips on how to conduct winter pruning properly.
- The fragrant lilac. Peeples, E.A. // Country Journal;Mar/Apr90, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p18
Describes the various types of lilacs, including their Latin names, native habitats, blooming times, looks and how to care for them.
- Long live lilacs. // Harrowsmith Country Life (11908416);May/June97, Vol. 21 Issue 134, p52
Presents information on lilacs, which was a familiar garden specimen during the reign of Henry VIII. Scent of lilacs; Growing patterns of lilacs; Description of lilacs; Identification of some lilacs; Detailed information on lilacs. INSETS: Fresh from the garden.;Lilacs ? la carte.;Care &...
- Lilac time, a rugged rosemary, a red sunflower, a speedy supersweet corn. McCausland, Jim; Ocone, Lynn // Sunset;Apr95, Vol. 194 Issue 4, p58
Reports on the bloom of lilac plants. Color variations; Kinds; Where to see lilac flowers.