Methyl bromide update
- Ozone warrior. Collis, Brad // Ecos;Apr-Jun98, Issue 95, p34
Looks at the efforts of Dr. Jonathan Banks, a chemist at CSIRO in Australia, to eliminate the use of methyl bromide in agriculture. What is methyl bromide; Arguments made by Banks pertaining to the hazards of this chemical; Suggested alternatives for this chemical.
- Fumigant on the way out. // Transportation & Distribution;Sep97, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p16
Reports that the Board of Port Commissioners of the Port of San Diego, California has adopted a policy on the use of methyl bromide at the Tenth Avenue Marine Terminal Cold Storage Facility. Hopes for this policy; Comments from J. Michael McDade, chairman of the Board; Reason methyl bromide was...
- Effects of spent mushroom compost on soil after successive chemical fumigation. Golueke, Clarence // BioCycle;May97, Vol. 38 Issue 5, p29
Presents an abstract of the study titled `Conventional and Organic Alternatives to Methyl Bromide on California Strawberries,' by Frank V. Sances and Elaine R. Ingham' reported in the `Composting Science and Utility.'
- Poisonberries. Rauber, Paul // Sierra;Jul/Aug96, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p20
Focuses on the injection of methyl bromide, a pesticide gas, into the soil to eliminate insects, nematodes, rodents and other sub-surface cutters. Mixing of methyl bromide with tear gas; Toxicity of methyl bromide; Popularity of methyl bromide for strawberry and tomato growing. INSET: Green...
- Port opts for new trade plan after ban on fumigant. Siedsma, Andrea // San Diego Business Journal;08/04/97, Vol. 18 Issue 31, p1
Reports that the San Diego Unified Port District has banned the regular use of the toxic fumigant methyl bromide, and has adopted a new trade development strategy. Vote taken by the Port Commission to ban the fumigant; Methyl bromide used on Chilean grapes.
- Methyl bromide alternatives update. // American Nurseryman;12/1/95, Vol. 182 Issue 11, p10
Reports on the Second Annual International Methyl Bromide Alternatives Research Conference held in San Diego, California which gave an update regarding the alternatives to methyl bromide. Phasing out of methyl bromide by the year 2001; Discussion of research for forestry products and structural...
- Methyl bromide. Nunas, Kyle // Natural Life;Nov/Dec96, Issue 52, p9
Focuses on the disadvantages of using the pesticide methylbromide. Effects on the ozone layer; Absence of alternative to the pesticide.
- Conventional and organic alternatives to methyl bromide... Sances, Frank V.; Ingham, Elaine R. // Compost Science & Utilization;Spring97, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p23
Evaluates the relative efficacy of chemical and organic alternatives to methyl bromide fumigation. Chemical and organic alternatives used in the study; How the study was done; Results and discussion.
- Stored product protection in Vietnam. Mueller, Dave // Pest Control;Feb98, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p21
Discusses how Vietnam uses methyl bromide and determines whether it is a candidate for a demonstration project to find alternatives for methyl bromide. Amount of methyl bromide Vietnam uses per year; Why Vietnam uses methyl bromide; Compound which can be an effective alternative to methyl...
- Methyl bromide makers see hope in new film. Milmo, Sean // Chemical Market Reporter;07/21/97, Vol. 252 Issue 3, p7
Reports on the proposed phaseout of methyl bromide in Europe. Period targeted for the phaseout; Arguments of European methyl bromide suppliers for a postponement of the chemical's phaseout.