The social structure of the transitional society
- Current problems of social development and ways to resolve them. Tishin, E. // Problems of Economic Transition;Sep97, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p25
Focuses on the problems of social development in Russia. Ways to resolve social problems; Relationship between social development and social justice; Analysis of macroeconomic indicators; Approaches to the management of social development.
- A land of individualists. Bernstein, Jonas // American Spectator;Jun93, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p48
Describes Russia today, a land of rampant inflation, rises in infectious disease and political, social and economic uncertainty. Worry that a return to totalitarianism is imminent; Numbers of individuals dreaming of leaving Moscow for the west; Discussions with those who won't leave; Government...
- What Russia teaches us now: How weak states threaten freedom. Holmes, Stephen // Australia & World Affairs;Summer98, Issue 35, p15
Focuses on the social conditions of Russia after the Cold War. Threat posed by state incapacity on liberal values; Problem of destatization; Debility of Russian capitalism; Exchange of unaccountable power for untaxable wealth.
- Nothing but `nyet': Russia reconsidered. // Crain's Chicago Business;10/16/95, Vol. 18 Issue 42, p18
Reports on the speech of Ruzhiemer International executive S. Enders Wimbush at a National Strategy Forum luncheon in Chicago. Comments on Russia's economic and political prospects; Alienation from the political system; Growing opposition to foreign control of Russian companies; Similarity...
- Russians struggle to find post-Soviet identity. Ford, Peter // Christian Science Monitor;5/30/97, Vol. 89 Issue 129, p10
Focuses on the social conditions of Russia and compares the views of its citizens to the changes made to their country since the demise of the Soviet Union. Personal experiences of Andrei Zolotov Sr., a former deputy culture minister, and his son Andrei Jr.; Expectations of the Russia people;...
- A Bleak Future in Russia. Dettmer, Jamie // Insight on the News;12/06/99, Vol. 15 Issue 45, p24
Observes the condition of life in Russia along the area of the Volga River since the fall of communism. Condition of the Volga region under communist rule; Status of the agricultural sector of Volga; Remarks from historian Katherine Khramankova.
- Mother Russia. Viviano, Frank // Mother Jones;May/Jun94, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p48
Presents photographs by Hans-Jurgen Burkard illustrating the social and economic conditions in post-Soviet Russia. Prevalence of sex racketeering and organized crime; Poverty; Death rate; Elite group; Patience of the Russian people; More.
- The values of society and the possibilities of reform in Russia. Akheizer, Aleksandr S.; Yanowitch, Murray // Russian Social Science Review;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p43
Examines the interrelationship of social values and reform in Russia. Tendency of society and nature to counter reforms and innovations; Failure of major and minor reforms in Russia; Nature of reform.
- Sociological aspects of the modernization of Russia and other postcommunist societies. Rukavishnikov, Vladimir O. // Russian Social Science Review;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p37
Focuses on the sociological aspects of the modernization of Russia and other postcommunist societies. Paradigm of modernization; Westernization as the essence of postcommunist modernization; Rating of Russian government.