Forest preserve public campgrounds
- Let it snow, let it snow... Guilmette, Joanne // New York State Conservationist;Feb96, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p1
Reports on the winter activities and special events offered by various state parks and forest preserve areas in New York. Snowtubing at Letchworth State Park; Popularity of snowmobiling at the Allegheny State Park; Hiking and fitness activities at Beaver Island State Park.
- CATSKILL PARK 100 YEARS OF STEWARDSHIP. Rudge, Bill; Yuan, Julia // New York State Conservationist;Jun2004, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p5
Focuses on the centennial celebration of the success in conserving the Catskill Forest Preserve in New York. Historical and geographical background of the forest; Details of the creation of the forest preserve; Varieties of outdoor recreation offered in the Catskills. INSETS: Did You Know?;Who...
- Thacher State Park: 100 Years of Outdoor Recreation. Gibson, Wendy // New York State Conservationist;Aug2014, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p22
The article discusses the historical background of the John Boyd Thacher State Park atop the Helderberg Escarpment in New York. Topics covered include the park's centennial celebration on September 13, 2014, the different adventure activities offered by the park, and the Indian Ladder Trail with...
- Exploring the Adirondacks. Harrington, Candy B. // Palaestra;Fall2006, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p20
The article discusses the Adirondack Mountain region, which offers a variety of accessible trails, recreational activities, and lodging for visitors with physical disabilities. The most accessible park in the region is John Dillon Park, which is located near Tupper Lake. The area is the result...
- Pataki announces acquisition of multi-town. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);02/17/97, Vol. 44 Issue 7, p12
Highlights New York State Governor George Pataki's announcement on the state's agreement to purchase the final parcel of the Multi-Town site in Suffolk County for addition to the Oak Brush Plains Edgewood State Preserve. Value of site; Endangered species in the site.
- Mountain bike heaven at 11th annual forest bike ride. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;5/31/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 22, p15
The article reports on the 11th Annual Stewart State Forest Bike Tour at Stewart Park and Reserve Coalition in 2010 in New York.
- Happy Birthday Belleayre. LeBrun, Fred // New York State Conservationist;Dec98, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p28
Focuses on the ski center, Belleayre Mountain, in New York State. Construction of ski trails on the lands of the Catskill Mountains in 1949; Distinction of having the highest skiable peak in the Catskills; Status as a forest preserve ski area.
- Bear Swamp State Forest. Forness, Dave // New York State Conservationist;Dec2000, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p28
Focuses on the Bear Swamp State Forest in Central New York. Area of the state forest; Activities offered by the forest to outdoor enthusiasts; History of the human impacts on the state forest; Efforts to protect the state forest's health.
- Forest Lands Earn Green Certification In New York State. // International Wildlife;May/Jun2000, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p9
Reports the awarding of the National Wildlife Federation SmartWood certification to New York for its environmentally sound management of its multiple-use public forest lands. Use of the certification to verify the quality of administration of the state forest lands; Requirements to win...