NIH conference deals with children
Tags: OBESITY in children
- Suggestions for working with fat children in the schools. Loewy, Michael I. // Professional School Counseling;Apr98, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p18
Addresses issues pertaining the social and emotional experiences of fat children in the United States. Impact of prejudice on self-esteem; Efforts of parents to encourage their children to lose weight as a result of erroneous perceptions; Comments on failure of weight loss programs; Suggestions...
- Studies indicate fat kids will be fat adults. // Jet;7/10/95, Vol. 88 Issue 9, p18
Reports on studies which suggest that fat children have a tendency to be overweight adults. Prevalence of obesity in families; Evidence to support the genetic nature of obesity.
- Pima kids activity low. // Obesity & Health;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p106
Discusses a study that compared activity levels between 43 Pima Indian children and 42 Caucasian children. Evidence that lack of activity may be a critical factor in the high obesity rates found in this Arizona tribe; Details.
- Combating childhood obesity. Olson, DiAnne // Obesity & Health;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p112
Comments on the views of Laurel Mellin regarding the necessity of making child obesity a national priority. Mellin is founder and director of the University of California at San Francisco's Center for Child and Adolescent Obesity; Her view that obesity-related disease and its subsequent health...
- Obesity-a critical problem? Monaco, John E. // Pediatrics for Parents;1997, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p6
Presents the health problems of an obese child. Eating behavior in early childhood years; Respiratory problems resulting from the compression of pulmonary organ when sleeping on low back position; Weight; Breathing difficulties related to asthma attack; Position assumed when sleeping which...
- Fat of the land: Growing girth weighs down a new generation. Heath, Sally; Carey, Dorothy // Nutridate;Mar98, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p8
Presents the actual article which originally appeared in the January 15, 1998 issue of `The Age' about obese children in Australia. Percentage of Australian children who are overweight; Tendency of fat children to get fatter; Key factors contributing to increased obesity in children; Lifestyle;...
- Dispelling the myths and learning some truths about childhood obesity. Guest, Donna K. // Better Nutrition;Feb98, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p26
Focuses on the facts and myths of childhood obesity. Details on a study which was conducted on childhood obesity; Reference to health risks and problems, associated with childhood obesity; Indepth look at childhood obesity.
- Heart health. // Australia's Parents;Apr/May97, Issue 98, p34
Focuses on obesity in children. Effects of obesity to physical activity and cardiovascular fitness; Tips to avoid excessive weight gain in children.
- Kid-friendly diet. // Redbook;Apr95, Vol. 184 Issue 6, p190
Reports on lifestyle changes for treating obese children. Physical activity; Monitoring of food intake.
- Prevalence of overweight among third- and sixth-grade children--New York City, 1996. Melnik, TA; Jesaitis, AT; Wales, KR; Bonam, SB // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;11/20/1998, Vol. 47 Issue 45, p980
Deals with the study on the prevalence of overweight among third- and sixth-graders in New York City, New York in 1996. How the study was conducted; Analysis of the findings; Factors in the higher prevalence of overweight among non-Hispanic black children; Limitations of the study.