Grassroots power triumphs in statehouse victories
- Common Cause aims at campaign finance reform. // PA Times;Jun97, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p2
Reports on a campaign finance reform legislation in the United States. Introduction of legislation by Senators John McCain and Russell Feingold; Goal of public interest group Common Cause in supporting the finance reform effort; Provisions under bill; Contact information.
- CC mobilizes to preserve Watergate-era reform. Howell, Jackie // Common Cause Magazine;Summer95, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p28
Reports on how the Common Cause organization achieved a major victory in its battle to preserve the presidential campaign finance system. Thwarting of the attempt to abolish the public financing system in the Senate; Common Cause's full-scale grassroots activities to save the system; Efforts to...
- Ethics in Alabama. Shapiro, Marci // Common Cause Magazine;Fall95, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p29
Reports that the Alabama legislature has passed a strong political ethics bill. Details of the bill; Efforts of staff and volunteers of the Common Cause organization to get the bill passed in the state legislature.
- Keeping up the pressure for reform. Howell, Jackie // Common Cause Magazine;Summer94, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p27
Reports on the efforts of the Common Cause to press the US Congress to enact campaign finance reform and lobby disclosure and gift reform. Refusal of House Democrats to reduce the individual political action committee contribution limit; Benefits gained by President Bill Clinton from soft money...
- Victories at the statehouse and the ballot box. Lutterbeck, Deborah // Common Cause Magazine;Summer94, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p29
Reports on the accomplishments of Common Cause state organizations. Campaign finance reform in Massachusetts and Long Beach, California; Merit system in the selection of Rhode Island State Supreme Court judges.
- Fighting for the health of democracy. McBride, Ann // Common Cause Magazine;Spring/Summer96, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p38
Talks about the efforts of the Common Cause citizens' lobby to clean up the corrupt campaign financing system in the United States. Money poured into the campaign coffers of congressmembers; Reasons why campaign finance reform is not easy to achieve; Concern of Americans about the role of big...
- Citizens achieve enormous breakthroughs. Wertheimer, Fred // Common Cause Magazine;Apr-Jun92, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p38
Discusses various aspects of the landmark campaign finance reform bill passed by Congress. Years of hard work by Common Cause members and activists; Other organizations that worked on this effort; President George Bush's veto; History of campaign finance reform.
- Taking Offense. Cohn, Jonathan // New Republic;11/29/99, Vol. 221 Issue 22, p13
Reports on the aggressive attempts of the United States political reform organization Public Campaign to alter methods of campaign spending. Support of the Clean Money plan under which the United States government would offer candidates full public financing in exchange for the candidate's...
- States adopt key ethics reforms. Young, Amy E. // Common Cause Magazine;Summer93, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p45
Announces the passage of the first campaign contribution limits for lawmakers. Prohibition of personal use of campaign funds; Change in New Mexico's conflict-of-interest rules.