Texas Official to Seek Sales Tax Hike for School Funding
- Craddick trumped Dewhurst tax plan. // Fort Worth Business Press;5/16/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 20, p65
Editorial. Discusses the rejection of a bill proposed by David Dewhurst, lieutenant governor of Texas, regarding school funding from state property tax in Texas. Implications of the decision of House Speaker Tom Craddick and his colleagues to reject the bill; Information on a budget deficit...
- 'Robin Hood' Still Alive After Texas Special Session. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;5/26/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 38, p17
Texas leaders are united in wanting to scrap the state's "Robin Hood" school finance scheme-they just can't agree on what will replace it. The Texas legislature's special session on school finance ended last week with Governor Rick Perry and legislative leaders promising to return when they've...
- Texas School Bill in Flux. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/17/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32092, p1
Reports that the Texas Senate will consider a school funding bill approved by the House. Praise given by Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst on the bill as a starting point for school finance reform; Order of Travis County District Court judge John Dietz for the state to rewrite school finance...
- Texas Community Colleges Get Hope for Restored Funding. Lindsay, Mark // Community College Week;8/13/2007, Vol. 19 Issue 24, p3
The article reports on the decision of Texas Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst to convene a meeting with state senators and the Legislative Budget Board to discuss the restoration of the funding for the health insurance benefits of the members of community colleges in the state. In June 2007,...
- Stop the Shenanigans or I'll Shoot - Tax Reform Texas Style. Lyda, Kirk R. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2004 Q4, p1
The article focuses on the ruling of a Texas district court judge in Austin that the public school finance system is unconstitutional and prohibited the state from funding public schools. The ruling has pressured the legislature to fix the tax system. Under the state regulation, public schools...
- Three Blind Elephants. Burka, Paul // Texas Monthly;Sep2005, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p16
Comments on the way several Republican politicians deal with school finance and tax bills in Texas. Texas Governor Rick Perry; Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst; Texas Representative Tom Craddick (R-Midland).
- Tone-deaf Dewhurst: the lite guv's own worst enemy. MCNEELY, DAVE // East Bernard Express (TX);9/5/2013, Vol. 70 Issue 36, p4
The author reflects on the controversy of Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst's attempt to bail out his nephew's wife charged with shoplifting in Wharton County, Texas.
- My five cents... Nichols, Robert // Malakoff News (TX);1/ 4/2013, Vol. 104 Issue 1, p2
The article offers information on some activities being prepared in Texas including changes in membership, bill filling, and committee appointment such as the appointment of Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Transportation.
- Texas May Tap Rainy Day Fund. WATTS, JIM // Bond Buyer;12/3/2012, Vol. 382 Issue 33822, p1
The article informs that David Dewhurst, Lieutenant Governor of Texas has proposed the creation of a state water supply infrastructure bond bank financed with 1 billion U.S. dollars from the state's Rainy Day Fund of Eight billion U.S. dollars in November 2012.