NEWS IN BRIEF
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. Vadum, Matthew; Vekshin, Alison; Braun, Martin Z.; McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;9/23/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31476, p33
Reports developments in the bond market in the U.S. as of September 2002. Increase on the sales tax revenue in Maryland; Appointment of Orin Kramer as chairman of the New Jersey pension funds; Redevelopment plans for the Meadowlands Sports Complex.
- California SMART Bonds on Track, But Rail Length Curtailed. SASKAL, RICH // Bond Buyer;3/21/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33485, p6
The article reports that the Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit District in California is on track to be launched in the bond market but the limits of the sales tax it depends on for funding will hinder the range of the rail it plans to create.
- CityNorth Tax Rebate. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;2/27/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32576, p9
The article reports on the plan of Phoenix, Arizona to provide $100 million in sales tax rebates to a $2 billion development project in a deal that would allow it to lease space at parking structures in the development for public use. The project, which was approved by the city council, will...
- N.J.'s Borrowing Bonanza. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;1/21/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31556, p1
Focuses on the bond and investment market in New Jersey in the week following January 21, 2003. Sale of refunding bonds by the Transportation Trust Fund Authority; Decrease in sales tax revenue; Issue of bonds for open-space preservation by the Garden State Preservation Trust Fund.
- Puerto Rico Sales Tax Bonds Find Interest From Investors. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;7/16/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32671, p8
The article reports on the sale of Puerto Rico Tax Financing Corp.'s $2.7 billion sales-tax revenue bonds that has attracted new buyers despite the short track record for its instituted sales and maturities out to 50 years. The deals includes $1 billion of fixed and variable rate uninsured bonds...
- ARKANSAS: Magnolia's New Hospital Deal. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;7/24/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32677, p9
The article reports on the plan of Magnolia, Arkansas to build a replacement for its aging municipal hospital with proceeds from the negotiated sale of $37 million of 30-year revenue bonds supported by a 1.125% sales tax voters approve earlier in 2007. According to Mayor Lane Jean, a hospital is...
- OKLAHOMA: Enid Splits on Debt, OKs Tax. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/11/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32833, p9
The article reports on the approval of a $7 million bond for bridge work and 25-year extension of a 1% sales tax by the voter in Enid, Oklahoma. Accordingly, the 1% sales tax aims to finance construction of a wastewater treatment plant and renovations to the downtown library. It notes that the...
- Metro to Sell $17M to Trim St. Louis Public Transit System's $26M Deficit. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;7/11/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32668, p8
The article reports on the plan of the agency that manages the St. Louis, Missouri public transit system to issue about $17 million of debt to refund two principal payments coming due on bonds issued in 2002. The measure will help trim a $26 million deficit in its fiscal 2008 budget. The...
- Ohio County Board Will Vote on $20M to Boost General Reserve. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;11/27/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32761, p7
The article reports that the commissioners of Hamilton County in Ohio is yet to decide through voting if they would resort to the selling of up to $20 million of lease-backed debt in order to build up a general fund reserve. The decision to sell, accordingly, is conceived when voters have...