'Herculean' Task in Texas
- Texas Comptroller Makes History, Rejects Budget Proposal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/20/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31661, p4
Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn on June 19, 2003 refused to certify a $117.4 billion budget proposal for the 2004-2005 biennium, telling lawmakers to fix a $185.9 million gap between revenues and expenditures by the end of the current fiscal year on August 31, 2003. This is the first...
- Texas Governor Sees Budget Deadline Where Comptroller Sees a 'Myth'. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/18/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31659, p32
Texas governor Rick Perry said on June 16, 2003 that the 118 billion dollar two-year budget bill approved in the month by lawmakers will expire if he does not receive a certified copy of the budget from comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn by June 22, 2003. Perry's announcement comes soon after a...
- Texas Comptroller Places Fiscal Onus on Legislature. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/20/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31639, p36
Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn reiterated her belief that legislators should utilize more than 4 billion dollar in savings and additional cash sources she has suggested to help the state cover a predicted 9.9 billion dollar revenue shortfall for 2004. Under Texas law, Strayhorn must...
- Strayhorn: Fee Hikes, Taxes Will Burden Texans. // Bond Buyer;8/28/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31708, p4
Focuses on the increase in fees and taxes by the legislature in Texas to balance the state budget. Overview of the opinion of Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Comptroller of Texas on the issue; Assessment of the increased tax burden on business community and public school employees.
- Book Fund Deficit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/25/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31891, p31
Reports that Texas has a $67 million budget deficit for textbooks, according to Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Miscalculation by the state legislature and transportation budget officials of the revenue that would be generated by a new tax law.
- SHOOT-OUT AT THE GOP CORRAL. Maggs, John // National Journal;11/8/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 45, p3443
Focuses on the criticism of Texas Governor Rick Perry's proposed budget by Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Action taken by the Legislature on Strayhorn's charges; Background on the political career of Strayhorn; History of the conflict between Strayhorn and Perry.
- For some in House, budget choice was none of the above. Berman, Russell // Hill;4/20/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 54, p4
The article reports on the varied reactions between the Democrats and Republican legislators on the 2012 budget plans in the U.S.
- CTRMA Begs to Differ. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/5/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32104, p27
Reports on the rebuttal of the officials from the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority to a March 9 report by Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn that called for the resignation of two authority board members. Absence of conflict of interest that would require their resignation;...
- Changing the way lawmakers make spending decisions. Rothschild, Steve // Fedgazette;Mar2003, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p15
Discusses the way U.S. lawmakers make spending decisions. Budget deficit of Minnesota in 2003; Ways to improve the quality of spending decisions.