- In Brief. // Business Insurance;5/4/2009, Vol. 43 Issue 18, p1
This section offers news briefs on the business insurance industry. A $60 million catastrophe bond was placed by Swiss Reinsurance Co. to cover the insurer against possible losses from North Atlantic hurricanes and California earthquakes. A $1.21 billion net loss was posted by Hartford Financial...
- Swiss Re call to axe cancer conditions. York, Nicola // Money Marketing;10/12/2006, p5
The article reports on the intent of Swiss Re Corp. to discard the two cancer conditions covered by its critical-illness definitions for the protection of consumer claims in Great Britain. The company has requested the Association of British Insurers to scrap such disorders, fearing to push up...
- Updates. // Business Insurance;7/17/2006, Vol. 40 Issue 29, p57
The article offers news briefs on business insurance. The Irish government has formally adopted the European Union reinsurance directive. A statement was issued by Swiss Reinsurance Co. claiming that it will reduce its global workforce as a result of its merger with GE Insurance Solutions....
- Swiss to overhaul regulation. Aldred, Carolyn // Business Insurance;5/19/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 20, p37
No abstract available.
- Numbers Still Coming in From Hurricane Season. // Best's Review;Nov2004, Vol. 105 Issue 7, p107
Reports on the third-quarter catastrophe losses of insurance companies in the U.S. Loss estimates of Allstate Corp. on personal-lines auto and property insurance policies; Number of claims from tropical storms of Swiss Re Group; Value of the after-tax net losses of American International Group Inc.
- Swiss Re Expects CHF 1.2 Billion Mark- to-Market Loss in Income. // Asia Insurance Review;Dec2007, p36
The article reports that Swiss Re Corp. expected a converted swiss francs (CHF) 1.2 billion mark-to-market loss arising from its exposure to two, related credit default swaps written by its Credit Solutions in Switzerland. These credit default swaps were designed to provide protection against a...
- Major European Reinsurers Still Caught in Financial Swirl. Padilla, David // Best's Review;Jun2008, Vol. 109 Issue 2, p14
The article reports on the financial trouble faced by major European reinsurers in the first quarter of 2008. It is noted that adding to its burden of volatile capital markets, is the effect of a weak U.S. dollar discounting profits made in the U.S. market. Swiss RE has experienced 53 percent...
- Insurers pledge no premium hikes or job cuts. Greenwood, John // Money Marketing;9/20/2001, p7
Highlights the impact of the terrorist attacks in the U.S. on insurance companies in Great Britain. Insurers expecting exposures from the tragedy; Amount of losses facing reinsurers, Munich Re and Swiss Re; Comments from Jane Hewin, Zurich Financial Services media relations manager.
- Cultural changes increase liability exposures in Asia. Bradford, Michael // Business Insurance;12/20/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 51, p4
The article reports that legal and cultural changes throughout Asia are bringing increased liability risks for businesses and underwriting opportunities for insurers. Improving economies in many Asian countries have given rise to better-educated, more affluent middle classes, said Ruediger Otto,...