Through-Hole Automation Challenges
- Selective soldering -- will one size fit all? Taylor, Rob // Electronics Weekly;11/21/2012, Issue 2528, p17
The article discusses the use of automated selective soldering in the manufacture of printed circuit boards (PCB). It is stated that increasing numbers of components mounted on PCBs cannot be soldered on a traditional wave soldering machine. To address this problem, a "mini wave" system is used...
- 2-D and 3-D inspections catch solder-paste problems. Owen, Mark // Test & Measurement World;Feb2000, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p13
Offers tips on the use of automated optical inspection to identify and correct solder-paste problems on printed circuit boards. Types of solder-paste inspection systems; Relationship between solder-joint volume and joint-fatigue failure; Factors affecting the accuracy of laser-based inspection...
- Experiment #71 â€” Circuit Layout. Sillver, H. Ward // QST;Dec2008, Vol. 92 Issue 12, p62
The article presents an experiment on the effects of two-section low-pass filter on its performance at different frequencies. A signal generator or a short wave radio (SWR) analyzer is used to measure the response of the circuit at different frequencies. It focuses on attachment and reattachment...
- Can You Clean a No-Clean Assembly? Munson, Terry // Circuits Assembly;Jan2003, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p48
Focuses on no trouble found (NTF) point in hand-soldered connector on the wave solder side of the assembly. Causes of the NTF problems; Impact of no-clean fluxes on electrical performance of the product; Techniques employed for determining NTF points.
- How to match a reflow oven to your needs. Schedtler, Dick // Process Heating;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p47
Discusses the soldering of printed circuit boards in the printed circuit industry. Attachment of components to circuit boards; Infrared heating; Limitations of infrared radiation; Convection heating as an alternative. INSET: Solder subtleties and flux without flex..
- Reworking Lead-free Solder in PCB Assembly. Dongkai Shangguan // SMT: Surface Mount Technology;Jun2003, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p38
Discusses factors to be considered during lead-free solder rework in printed circuit board assembly. Lack of wetting and wickability in lead-free solder rework; Minimization of negative impact of the rework process on the reliability of the solder interconnects; Electrochemical reliability.
- How To Succeed In Soldering. Campisi, Jr., Skip // Electronics Now;Jul99, Vol. 70 Issue 7, p84
Offers advice about soldering. Selection of the correct tools and solder; Printed circuits; Techniques to use that guarantee success; Importance of tip maintenance.
- Avoiding the Pressure. Nguyen, Nathalie; Robertson, Glenn; Schlak, Robert; Do, Trent // Printed Circuit Design;Nov2002, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p12
Focuses on the avoidance of a soldering-related problems using a compliant pin technology. Attachment of high-speed interconnects to the printed circuit design; Consideration of the insertion force; Reliability of the pin.
- Hand Soldering in the 21st Century. Huerta, Leo // Circuits Assembly;Sep2002, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p44
Focuses on the significance of hand soldering process in assembling the printed circuit board system. Control of the amount of thermal energy; Tips on avoiding thermal damage; Importance of flux in the soldering process.