Calendar: SAN FRANCISCO
Tags: SOCIAL groups
- The ins and outs of cliques. // Current Health 1;Mar1993, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p14
Advises young people how to deal with cliques or student groups. Sense of belonging; Feeling of being left out; Interests and attitudes; Advantages and disadvantages; Getting out. INSET: Words from people who have been there..
- Social Categories and Claims in the Liberal State. Starr, Paul // Social Research;Summer92, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p263
Offers a look at social categories and claims in the liberal state. Problem of legitimate classification; Problem of legitimate inference; Understanding social classification; Clarification of terms; Features that distinguish official classifications from everyday and scientific categories;...
- Climate and Culture: Interaction and Qualitative Differences in Organizational Meanings. Rentsch, J.R. // Journal of Applied Psychology;Dec90, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p668
Investigates the relationship between people's membership in social-interaction groups and the meanings they attach to organizational events. Hypothesizes that people who interact together would interpret organizational events similarly and that different interaction groups would interpret...
- Understanding Prosocial Behavior, Sales Performance, and Turnover: A Group-Level Analysis in a Service Context. George, J.M.; Bettenhausen, K. // Journal of Applied Psychology;Dec90, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p698
Analyzes theoretical justification for viewing prosocial behavior and voluntary turnover at the group level. Hypothesizes that group cohesiveness and leaders' positive mood would be positively related to the incidence of prosocial behavior in work groups and negatively related to the groups'...
- Association news. Banasiak, David // Roads & Bridges;Oct96, Vol. 34 Issue 10, p24
Presents various news information on associations across the United States. First annual meeting of the Used Truck Association; Development of programs by the organization; Appointment of Hal Kassoff as executive vice president of the Intellegent Transportation Society of America (ITS America);...
- Small groups forge new notions of community and the sacred. Wuthnow, Robert // Christian Century;12/8/93, Vol. 110 Issue 35, p1236
Discusses the rise in the number of small social groups in the United States. Activity programs; Impact on the understanding of community and spirituality; Proportion of Americans belonging to small groups; Relation between people's understanding of their relationships with each other and their...
- A certain distance, a certain nearness. Marty, Martin E. // Liberal Education;Winter96, Vol. 82 Issue 1, p12
Presents a model of group life based on association instead of community. Parable of two cold porcupines; Errors of two periods of public expression in the United States.
- Treat yourself to `me' time. Dodd, Celia // Redbook;Jun94, Vol. 183 Issue 2, p158
Discusses the enjoyment of joining a discussion group. Author's involvement with a women's theatergoing group; Friend's joining of a book group; Steps to take when setting up a discussion group.
- EXPLORING THE EDGES OF THE MISSISSIPPIAN WORLD. King, Adam; Meyers, Maureen S. // Southeastern Archaeology;Winter2002, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p113
Many theoretical and methodological approaches recognize the importance of frontiers, boundaries, and edges in understanding human behavior. We introduce a set of articles thematically focused on social formations at the spatial and temporal edges of the Mississippian world. We define certain...