Fire's other face
- Environmentalists sacrifice the forests to save the trees. Freeman, Gerald M. // Pulp & Paper;Mar96, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p232
Opinion. Argues about the views of environmentalists pertaining to the forest. Impact of fires on forests; Statistics on fires.
- Fire storms. Wheeler, Mark // Discover;May94, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p52
Discusses the effect of major forest fires on the weather. Creation of the natural phenomenon called microweather; Formation of tornadoes filled with fire and noxious gases; Thunderheads in cloudless skies; Rain and lightning formation.
- Fires of life. Stewart, Doug // National Wildlife (World Edition);Aug/Sep94, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p30
Discusses the benefits of fire to forest wildlife. New vegetation growth; Reappearance of edge species; Loss of animals' ecological niches due to uniformity of vegetation; Disposal of dead wood covering seeds; Aftermath of the 1988 Yellowstone fires; Restoration of diversity in chaparral...
- Indonesian fires cause unprecedented environmental damage. // Ecologist;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 27 Issue 6, Campaigns & news p2
Looks at the environmental damage caused by Indonesian bush and forest fires. Number of acres lost to these fires; Impact of the fires; Cause for 80 percent of the fires according to a report by the World Wide Fund for Nature; Response by the Indonesian government.
- Fire damage soils our forests. Moore, Peter D. // Nature;11/28/1996, Vol. 384 Issue 6607, p312
Previews an article on the effects of soil charcoal on the development of vegetation and ecosystem succession following fires in high-latitude coniferous forests. Research by Zackrisson, Nilsson, and Wardle in a 1996 issue of `Oikos'; Other studies of the consequences of fire on soils; Details...
- Finding the best prescription. Sarre, Alastair // Ecos;Jul-Sep2000, Issue 100, p3
Reports on the effects of fire on ecological and other forest values in Australia. Short-term and long-term cumulative effects in forests; Importance of fire management; Practice of prescribed burning.
- Exploring the Mega-Fire Reality 2011. Attiwill, Peter; Binkley, Dan // Fire Management Today;Summer2011, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p41
The article offers information on "Exploring the Mega-fire Reality" to be hosted by the international journal "Forest Ecology and Management" on November 14-17, 2011 in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Asia's deadly haze. Strasser, Steven; Moreau, Ron // Bulletin with Newsweek;10/07/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6092, p70
Reports on the man-made forest fires in Indonesia and their possible effects on the crash of Garuda Flight 152 as well as public health. Poor visibility from the smoke of the fires leading the crash in Medan; Late rains contributing to the spread of the fires; Effects of smoke in Singapore and...
- Bolivia's savanna birds. // Earthwatch: The Journal of Earthwatch Institute;Feb98, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p19
Provides information on an Earthwatch project to monitor the effects of forest fragmentation and burning. The project, headed by James Pearce-Higgins and Dr. Tony Warne; Conducting the research in Bolivia; Examples of intriguing bird species in the area; Examples of the most threatened bird...