Arafat will go to Bethlehem
Tags: ARAFAT, Yasir, 1929-2004
- Arafat wins--but what happens next? Usher, Graham // New Statesman & Society;1/26/96, Vol. 9 Issue 387, p8
Reports on the winning of Yasir Arafat in the Palestinian general elections held on January 20, 1996. Voter turnout; Impact on the Islamist movement, Hamas; Fears over the absence of real opposition against Arafat.
- Jerusalem, crossroads of peace. // America;2/10/1996, Vol. 174 Issue 4, p3
Editorial. Focuses on Palestinian elections and the election of Yasir Arafat as president. Arafat's focus on specific issues; Information on resumed peace negotiations with Israel; Concerns of declining Christian communities in Holy Land; Possible emigration of Palestinians to other countries;...
- The world. Hanson, Cynthia; Zipp, Yvonne // Christian Science Monitor;8/14/96, Vol. 88 Issue 182, p2
No abstract available.
- Israeli confidence in Yasser Arafat very low. Kirkpatrick, Jeane // Human Events;4/5/96, Vol. 52 Issue 13, p20
Looks at the reasons behind the Israeli's low confidence in Palestinian Liberation Organization Chairman Yasser Arafat. Reluctance to join efforts for arresting perpetrators of Israeli bombings; Apprehensions on outcome of concessions for peace.
- Arafat defiance. // Newsweek;11/11/85, Vol. 106 Issue 20, p47
Yasser Arafat arrived in Amman last week braced for a dressing-down from Jordan's King Hussein. There was talk that Hussein, fed up after the Achille Lauro affair, was prepared to deal with Israel without the PLO. But at a news conference after the meetings, Arafat was all defiance, refusing...
- Palestinian leader. Willey, F.; Bartholet, J. // Newsweek;4/27/87, Vol. 109 Issue 17, p42
Yasir Arafat was once considered the leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization's faction chiefs; and as representatives of eight PLO groups recently searched for the Palestine National Council, Arafat seemed ready to again emerge as first among his equals. Although the PLO seems more...
- Gaza/West Bank. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;01/09/98, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p23
Focuses on Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat who has agreed with the Palestinian Legislative Council to appoint a cabinet. Expectations of the appointments.
- Arafat is still worth bargaining with. Hoagland, Jim // Indianapolis Business Journal;09/01/97, Vol. 18 Issue 24, p3B
Opinion. Comments on the clout of Yasir Arafat in the Palestinian community. Political base and negotiating partners of Arafat; Popular personalities reportedly closed with Arafat.
- From Oslo to Bethlehem: Arafat's Islamic Message. Israeli, Raphael // Journal of Church & State;Summer2001, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p423
Examines whether Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat is bound by a set of principles and whether he espouses any ideology only when it appears to him at a particular time to reflect his and his people's interest. Application given by Arafat and others of the various aspects of...