Reading has positive influence on young minds
Tags: LITERACY programs
- Literacy hotline update. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar94, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p20
Reports on the United States National Literacy Hotline's celebration of its 10th anniversary on November 1, 1993. Number of volunteers and students served; Contact information.
- `Capture the Flag' captures students' interest. Muzevich, Kathleen // Reading Today;Dec/Jan96, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p16
Describes the `Capture the Flag' technique for implementing the Parents as Reading Partners (PARP) program. Competition in the number of books read; Built-in rewards of the program including capturing the flag and keeping it for a month.
- Success for...all. Freeman, Matt // Reading Today;Dec/Jan96, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p34
Describes the effectiveness of the Success for All reading or literacy program developed by Robert Slavin in Baltimore, Maryland. Program elements; Inspiration from studies of cooperative simulations of real-life situations using content-area concepts; Implementation of Success for All concept...
- Literacy tour cancelled. // Reading Today;Apr/May97, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p2
Reports on the cancellation of the `America Wants to Read' national literacy tour due to lack of financial sponsorship.
- National debate of reading issues offers local opportunities to be heard. Long, Richard // Reading Today;Apr/May97, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p7
Opinion. Comments on the debate in the US Congress and in the reading profession about whether to adopt a voluntary national test for reading. Overall merits of the America Reads program and the best way of implementing it; Opportunities for promoting literacy education; Issue on the need for...
- Critical reading project poised for widespread adaptation. // Reading Today;Apr/May97, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p32
Reports on the Soros Open Society Institute's agreement with a consortium of United States-based institutions to work together to make a critical reading program available to educators in various countries. Development of `Reading and Writing for Critical Thinking' project to infuse a core of...
- (FUNDING) Delaware Taxes Payday Loans for Financial Literacy Program. // Aging News Alert;11/12/2010, p1
The article reports state government of Delaware has started a 200,000 dollars Financial Literacy Education Fund (FLEF) derived from a fee charged on payday loans. Delaware governor Jack Markell recently signed a legislation requiring businesses to pay an annual high-cost loan license fee of...
- Literacy in Japan: Obstacles and opportunities. Do, Bae Jung // Convergence;1991, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p72
Focuses on the obstacles and opportunities in the Buraku literacy program in Japan. Profile of Buraku people; Social and political factors obstructing literacy propagation; Literacy for Koreans in Japan.
- Literacy in the inner city. Perkins, Fran Davis; Strutchens, Marilyn // Teaching Pre K-8;May94, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p58
No abstract available.
- Tried and true practices. Manning, Gary; Manning, Maryann // Teaching Pre K-8;May96, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p106
Lists 25 tried and true ideas for making literacy programs outstanding. Includes reading aloud a good book in the classroom; Sustained silent reading as a strategy for promoting independent reading; Points to remember when practicing shared reading.