Value of fiber for treatment of constipation in the elderly
- Fiber supplementation speeds gut transit time. Cheskin, Lawrence J.; Kamal, Neel // Brown University Long-Term Care Quality Letter;12/11/95, Vol. 7 Issue 23, p7
Reports that adding fiber to the diets of the elderly can relieve the symptoms of constipation. Dangerous implications for elderly as they cannot tolerate prescription laxatives.
- Maintaining good nutrition in the elderly. Johnson, Rita M.; Kaiser, Fran E. // Patient Care;11/15/1995, Vol. 29 Issue 18, p46
No abstract available.
- Foodcapsule: 1-of-3 seniors are overweight. // FoodService Director;05/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p16
Presents statistics from a study on the number of overweight elderly persons in the United States. Major concern surrounding obesity in elderly persons; Amount of Medicare employees that do not meet current nutritional guidelines.
- Nutritional assessment in acute medical illness: Comparison of a short questionnaire and gold... Pascual, J.A.; Price, M. // Age & Ageing;May94, Vol. 23 Issue 3, British Geriatrics... pP21
Compares a full nutritional survey with a 14-item questionnaire method in identification of at-risk elderly patients. Differences in anthropometric measurements; Vitamin intake; Association between nutritional indices and short questionnaire scores.
- Construct Validation and Test-Retest Reliability of the Seniors in the Community: Risk Evaluation for Eating and Nutrition Questionnaire. Keller, Heather H.; McKenzie, Jacquelyn D.; Goy, Richard E. // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Sep2001, Vol. 56A Issue 9, pM552
Tests the validity and reliability of the Seniors in the Community: Risk Evaluation for Eating and Nutrition (SCREEN) questionnaire. Risk of impaired nutritional states among seniors; Site comparison for health and nutrition variables in the validation sample; Paired correlations for...
- Developing a nutrition care plan for residents at risk. WELLMAN, NANCY // Nursing Homes: Long Term Care Management;Jan99, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p60
Provides ways on how to improve nutrition deficiency, one of long-term care's most serious deficiencies. Risk of elderly for malnutrition, especially those who live in nursing facilities; Importance of nutrition in the elderly; Causes of nutrition problems.
- Proper nutrition in older people. Lazzarino, E. // BMC Geriatrics;
An abstract of the lecture titled "Proper Nutrition in Older People," by E. Lazzarino, given at the Age and Health Forum Catanzaro on December 5-7, 2009 in Italy, is presented.
- Clues in the eye: Ocular signs of metabolic and nutritional disorders. Berman, Eric L. // Geriatrics;Jul95, Vol. 50 Issue 7, p34
Presents the ocular manifestations of metabolic and nutrition disorders in aged adults. Diabetes mellitus; Gouts; Wilson's disease; Hyperlipidemia; Albinism; Indications of vitamin deficiencies.
- The Impact of Nutritional Needs of Older Adults on Recommended Food Intakes. Russell, Robert M.; Rasmussen, Helen; Fada // Nutrition in Clinical Care;May/Jun99, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p164
Abstract The elderly are at greater risk for nutrient deficiencies than are younger people. The complications of chronic disease states that are more common among older adults as well as the limitations that accompany the natural aging process can affect nutrient intake, absorption, and...