Do fatty reserves extend dispersal distance of wind-dispersed seeds of Dioscorea japonica?
- Seeds can fly... Prescott, Lyle // Ranger Rick;Nov94, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p16
Discusses how seeds spread to other places. Traveling on gusts of wind; Popping of seeds from dried pods; Undigested seeds in animals' droppings; Sticking to the fur of roaming animals.
- `Merry's Ears'--dispersal of fruits and seeds. Bebbington, John; Bebbington, Anne // Journal of Biological Education (Society of Biology);Autumn93, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p166
Presents `Merry's Ears,' a method of studying seed dispersal mechanisms by walking a dog along a rural lane. Setting up and testing of simple hypotheses about the characteristics of fruits dispersed by mammals; Aims and objectives; Methodology; Results.
- Seeds on the fly. McNulty, Karen // Science World;11/5/93, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p10
Features the mechanism of dispersal of seeds by parent plants to send them sailing away to start a new life. George Yatskievych's experience with the exploding fruit in his office; Dispersal of seeds as plants' means of passing on their genes to subsequent generations; Botanist Wayt Thomas'...
- How do seeds travel? // Science World;11/5/93, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p13
Investigates the several methods of seed travel through a simple experiment. List of ingredients; Procedure; Wind test; Hitchhiker test; Water test; Conclusions; Speculations on inventing another method of seed dispersal.
- In my end is my beginning. // Discover;Jul93, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p14
Highlights research to determine what kind of seeds can best survive the digestive cycle of a cow and recycle some of what the animal has eaten by sowing seeds contained in cow dung. Work of agronomist John McIvor or the Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organization in Australia;...
- Bad seeds in high latitudes. Mooreside, Pete // Frontiers in Ecology & the Environment;May2012, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p173
The article reports on the result of an analysis on human-medicated dispersal of plant seed in the Arctic island of Spitsbergen, Norway which detected over 1000 seeds in 250 airline passengers.
- Varied methods of seed dispersal. Lancaster, Neil // Garden;Feb2013, Vol. 138 Issue 2, p59
The author explains several methods of seed dispersal including dispersal by wind, dispersal by fruit eaters, and dispersal by explosive release.
- Seeds on the GO. // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Mar2008, Vol. 64 Issue 6, Special section p1
The article discusses the different ways of seed dispersal.
- Ford pill from the forest. C.B. // Nature Australia;Fall96, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p10
Looks at the seeds of the Costa Rican shrub Witheringia solanacea and its origin from a fruit containing laxatives in Australia. Significance of the plant's main dispersal agent Myadestes melanops; How the dispersal of seeds reduces competition with parent plants for nutrients; Discussions on...