A guide to crisis negotiations
- Helping hostages and their families through critical incident response. Fagan, Thomas J. // Corrections Today;Jul94, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p78
Discusses how American corrections officials can manage prison hostage situations through the creation of a Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT). Need for prison administrators to put in place victim assistance strategy; Suggestions on how to handle family members of hostages; Counseling...
- Crisis/hostage negotiation team profile. Hammer, Mitchell R.; van Zandt, Clinton R. // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Mar1994, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p8
Presents a crisis negotiation survey (CNS) to identify the needs of crisis negotiation teams in the United States. Issues affecting crisis negotiation teams; Team demographics; Negotiation team selection and training; Incident responses; Use of mental health professionals; Need for a national...
- India rejected an offer from Kashmiri militants. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham T. // Christian Science Monitor;11/24/95, Vol. 87 Issue 252, p2
Informs about India's rejection of an offer from Kashmiri militants to exchange two ailing Western hostages for an imprisoned guerrilla on November 22, 1995.
- Indian officials expressed hope of a release. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham // Christian Science Monitor;8/24/95, Vol. 87 Issue 189, p2
Reports the hope of Indian officials on the release of Western captives held by Kashmiri rebels, after they successfully persuaded the rebels to send the photos and audio tapes of the captives.
- Enhancing negotiator training therapeutic communication. Slatkin, Arthur // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;May96, Vol. 65 Issue 5, p1
Focuses on the use of certain communication techniques developed by mental health professionals by negotiators to resolve critical incidents more peacefully. Agendas; Instruction program; Communication techniques mode; Role-play; Debriefing; Sample responses.
- Crisis intervention. Noesner, Gary W.; Webster, Mike // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Aug97, Vol. 66 Issue 8, p13
Advises crisis negotiators to use active listening skills in hostage negotiations. Types of behavior confront by crisis negotiator during the negotiations; Nature of crises; How to break down defenses; Techniques that constitutes the core element of the active listening approach; Negotiation tools.
- NTV reveals ransom threat from Chechnya. Birchenough, Tom // Variety;06/01/98, Vol. 371 Issue 4, p28
Reports that leading Russian indie channel NTV went public with details of a ransom that it paid for its three correspondents taken hostage in Chechnya in 1997. Identification of the correspondents who were taken in captivity; Accusations hurled by one of NTV's correspondents on Chechen officials.
- Onsite psychological evaluation of a hostage taker. Rueth, Thomas W. // Psychological Reports;Oct93, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p659
Suggests an onsite assessment of dealing with hostage situations that include a mental status evaluation based on observation of a client and a selective history taken from collateral sources. Development of negotiation teams by law enforcement agencies; Traditional psychological assessment;...
- The US appealed to Kashmiri separatists. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham // Christian Science Monitor;7/20/95, Vol. 87 Issue 164, p2
Informs about United States' appeal to Kashmiri separatists to release the five Western hostages, including one American, held captive by them in India.