Immigration spurs debate on Capitol Hill
- Immigration laws are education laws too. Stewart, David // Phi Delta Kappan;Mar94, Vol. 75 Issue 7, p556
Discusses the effect of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 on education. Increased enrollment of immigrant students; List of needed school restructuring and curricular reform; Tensions brought about by rapid social changes; Effect of immigration on adult literacy programs; Need for...
- Wanted: Skilled immigrants. Francis, David R. // Christian Science Monitor;4/27/98, Vol. 90 Issue 105, pB8
Comments on efforts by the United States Congress to raise the education level of immigrants entering the country and its workforce by giving priority to those immigrants with at least a high school education. The role of Representative Lamar Smith; Opposition from the AFL-CIO; Why Smith has...
- Outlook unclear for immigration bill, provision on illegal students. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;4/24/96, Vol. 15 Issue 31, p23
Reports on developments related to an immigration-reform bill which was delayed in the Senate. Provision for states to bar illegal-immigrant children from receiving a free public education; Likelihood that the immigration bill will get a veto from President Bill Clinton if such provision is...
- Group Conflict and 'Confined' and 'Collaborative' Collective Efficacy: The Importance of a Normative Core between Immigrants and Natives in an English Town. GRIFFITHS, CLARE E. // Polish Sociological Review;2014, Issue 185, p91
It has long been contended by both the 'old' and 'new' Chicago School that immigration fractures effective community controls, resulting in increased crime, conflict and social disorder. Building on the Chicago School approach, this article provides an extended model of the theory of collective...
- Arthur's Dream. // NEA Today;Mar/Apr2009, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p13
The article reports on U.S. legislation to allow non-citizens to become permanent residents if they go to college or join the military. The author reflects on student Arthur Mikoyan and his scheduled deportation after graduation from high school. Other topics include appeals for asylum and...
- In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants. // State Legislatures;Apr2007, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p9
The article focuses on the right of illegal immigrants for in-state tuition at public universities in the U.S. under the 2006 immigration laws. States, including Illinois and Utah, granted in-state tuition rates for long-term unauthorized immigrant students. Despite the provisions of the 1996...
- House Democrats ready to give immigration bill another shot. Allen, Jared; Rushing, J. Taylor // Hill;3/25/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p4
The article reports that the U.S. House of Representatives is preparing for more debates over the issue of immigration legislation.
- Immigration Legislation. // Congressional Digest;Mar1986, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p69
Pending in the House is the Senate-passed Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1985. Discussion of the legislation includes controlling illegal entry; recent action in Congress; and a summary of the Senate-passed act.
- The Immigration Act Of 1989. // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p225
Presents a general discussion of the immigration issue in the United States. Reforms; Conflicts.