Of eels and the river
- For peat's sake. // Earth Island Journal;Winter93/94, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p3
Focuses on `Utusan Konsumer's report on the destruction of Malaysia's peat-swamp forest due to the construction of an eel farm.
- Eels in Trouble. Reiger, George // Salt Water Sportsman;Nov2004, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p98
Examines the decline in eel stocks in the U.S. as of October 2004.
- Eel fisheries slipping away. Kerr, John // Ontario Out of Doors;May2004, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p10
Heeding a Great Lakes Fishery Commission emergency declaration that American eel numbers are down here and along the Atlantic seaboard, the Ontario government has banned commercial fishing for them in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. According to the Canadian Ministry of Natural...
- March of the Eels. Nickens, T. Edward // Field & Stream;Mar2010, Vol. 114 Issue 10, p37
The article reports on the migration of glass eels, the juvenile form of the American eel from the ocean to freshwater habitats in early spring in the U.S.
- Those Damned Dams. Helsdon, Jeff // Ontario Out of Doors;Mar2010, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p66
The article focuses on the impact of dams on aquatic life. It mentions that around 26 percent of eel population suffers every year due to Moses-Saunders dam built by Ontario Power Generation (ONG) and the New York Power Authority near Cornwall, Ontario. It also mentions that by 2007 the ell...
- Eel conflict. // New Scientist;4/15/95, Vol. 146 Issue 1973, p11
Reports that the Shetland, Scotland sand eel fishery will reopen after a five-year closure. Concerns of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) over the reopening; Dependence of birds on sand eels for food; Government's failure to designate a no-go area for fishing.
- Intersegmental coordination in the lamprey: simulations using a network model without segmental boundaries. Wadden, Tom; Hellgren, Jeanette; Lansner, Anders; Grillner, Sten // Biological Cybernetics;1997, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p1
Abstract. Swimming in vertebrates such as eel and lamprey involves the coordination of alternating left and right activity in each segment. Forward swimming is achieved by a lag between the onset of activity in consecutive segments rostrocaudally along the spinal cord. The intersegmcntal phase...
- Good Migrations. Springer, Craig // Outdoor Life;Aug2006, Vol. 213 Issue 7, p18
A list of some animals is provided together with the distance they have been documented to roam including the American Eel, Cougar, Black Bear, and Largemouth Bass.
- Escapement of eel (Anguilla anguilla) in coastal areas in Sweden over a 50-year period. Andersson, Jan; Florin, Ann-Britt; Petersson, Erik // ICES Journal of Marine Science / Journal du Conseil;Jul2012, Vol. 69 Issue 6, p991
Andersson, J., Florin, A.-B., and Petersson, E. 2012. Escapement of eel (Anguilla anguilla) in coastal areas in Sweden over a 50-year period â€“ ICES Journal of Marine Science, 69: 991â€“999.The escapement of eel from coastal areas in Sweden during the last 50 years was assessed using...