Economists, policy entrepreneurs, and health care reform
- Health economics outlook: Two theories of health economics. Musgrave, Gerald L. // Business Economics;Apr95, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p7
Provides two theories and suggestions for health care reform in the United States. Diffuse nature of the health care industry; Political influence of suppliers; Views on health, health care goods and services, medicine and economics; Policy alternatives.
- The great health system reform myths of the 1990s. Hixson, Jesse S. // Business Economics;Apr95, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p14
Describes various myths and falsehoods in the American health care system. Political feasibility of the health care system; Approaches to correcting structural economic problems in the health care system; Benefits of competition between health plans.
- Getting it right on health care reform. Wiener, Joshua M. // Brookings Review;Winter94, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p5
Opinion. Discusses issues surrounding the Bill Clinton Health Care Plan. Government-run national health insurance plan versus market-oriented reform plan; Taxation problems for the government-run model; Assessment of alternative; Cost containment method; Assessment of tax cap included in the...
- How to share the burden. Weiner, Joshua M.; Illston, Laura Hixon // Brookings Review;Spring94, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p16
Discusses the economic aspects of long-term health care reform in the 1990s. Rising costs of health care and nursing homes for the elderly; Increasing strain on the American economy; Proposal of the Bill Clinton administration on long term-health care; Public and private sector initiatives;...
- Three new seminars added to fall 1994 HFMEF calendar. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Jul94, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p16
Reports on the addition of three seminars to the Healthcare Financial Management Educational Foundation's fall 1994 calendar. Titles; Topics covered; Date and venue; Contact information.
- HFMEF launches Managed Care Institute this fall. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Aug84, Vol. 48 Issue 8, p16
Reports on Healthcare Financial Management Educational Foundation's (HFMEF) launching of `The 1994 Managed Care Institute--Critical Success Factors for Capitation.' Date and venue; Design; Purpose of the institute; Offerings.
- Company notes. // Modern Healthcare;3/21/94, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p61
Reports on developments in the healthcare industry. Upgrade of Iowa bond ratings by Moody's Investors Service; Prepaying of mortgages by American Health Properties on two hospitals it acquired in 1987; Humana's purchase of minority interest in CMG health; Funding of a limited partnership by New...
- At the best time. Rees, Michael K. // Modern Medicine;Jun96, Vol. 64 Issue 6, p66
Editorial. Reflects on the economic aspects in the practice of medicine. Praise on the practice of Carleton Stickney who dedicated himself to the care of indigent patients; Satisfaction from the practice of medicine; Changes in the compensation structures for physicians; Call for physicians to...
- What market values are doing to medicine. Relman, Arnold S. // National Forum;Summer93, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p17
Reports that the profession of medicine has steadfastly held that physicians' responsibility to their patients takes precedence over their own economic interests. Distinctions between medical practice and commerce; Effect of the corporatization of health care on the attitudes of health care...
- Pharmacoeconomic research provides the comprehensive view of value. Hesselgrave, Barbara L.; Cox, Fred M. // Managed Healthcare;Mar1998, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p50
Part III. Examines how pharmacoeconomic research can help improve the quality and economic status of a healthcare system. Complexities of pharmacoeconomic research that can become sources of administrative pitfalls; Provision of tools for assessing the status and performance of a healthcare...