School danger zones
Tags: SCHOOL violence
- When violence comes to school. Farrington, Jan // Current Health 2;Apr/May98, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p6
Focuses on violence in schools across the United States. Reference to various incidences of violence within schools; Indication of surveys conducted in schools on the fear of violence; What attributes to violence in schools; Reflection on the experience of Texas-based Samson High School student...
- Rescuing the ciphers. Smith, Barbara // Christian Science Monitor;3/9/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 72, p11
Discusses the shooting at Santana High School in California and discusses the profile of potential shooters.
- Under the shadow of Thy wings. // Christian Science Monitor;3/9/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 72, p23
Discusses the shooting at Santana High School in California and suggests that people view others as protected by God.
- After school shootings, a city stages a search for solutions. Lazarus, Joan // Christian Science Monitor;4/3/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 89, p19
Discusses the efforts of the Flint Youth Theatre to prevent school violence by performing drama related to violence in daily life.
- Detectors in schools: Protection or threat? // Current Events;2/9/90, Vol. 89 Issue 17, p3
Discusses the use of metal detectors in US schools. Weapons checks; Murders in schools; American Civil Liberties Union's concern about Fourth Amendment rights.
- Unsafe schools. // Current Events;12/2/91, Vol. 91 Issue 12, p1
Focuses on classroom violence. Students carrying weapons to school; Centers for Disease Control (CDC) survey on weapons; Examples of reports of school violence from around the country; Reasons for upsurge of violence in United States schools; Gangs; Drugs; Solutions; Los Angeles; Random...
- Violence in the classroom: Where we stand. Bender, William N.; McLaughlin, Phillip J. // Intervention in School & Clinic;Mar97, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p196
Discusses violence in the classroom. Approaches to violence prevention; Intervention strategies; Issue of violence from the perspective of risk/resiliency; Need for strategies with a systems-wide perspective; Relationship between effective male role models in the school and violence reduction.
- Students fearful after racial attack on two. // Jet;1/27/92, Vol. 81 Issue 14, p23
Discusses the fears of New York school children following the robbery, beating and humiliation of two black classmates by four white youths. Details of attack.
- Three Men Indicted In Case Of Boy, 6, Who Killed Michigan Schoolmate. // Jet;04/03/2000, Vol. 97 Issue 17, p37
Reports that three men were indicted on weapons charges connected to the school shooting at Mount Morris Township, Michigan, in which a 6-year-old girl was killed by a classmate.
- 13-Year-Old Florida Honor Student Charged In Shooting Death Of Teacher. // Jet;06/19/2000, Vol. 98 Issue 2, p36
Reports on Nathaniel Brazill, the 13-year-old honor student charged in the shooting death of Barry Grunow, a Lake Worth, Florida Community Middle School teacher.