- Bringing Back the Neighborhoods. Bingler, Steven; Blank, Martin; Berg, Amy // American School Board Journal;Oct2007, Vol. 194 Issue 10, p25
The article focuses on the role of community schools in rebuilding the school system of New Orleans, Louisiana. Community schools unite schools and the community to focus on academics, enrich opportunities for students and services for removing barriers to learning. A planning process is already...
- Science Matters in Kansas City. // NSTA Express;10/4/2010, p4
The article offers information on a community event "Science Matters,"co-hosted by the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), WGBH and Kansas City Public Television, to be held at the Kansas City Convention Center, Kansas on 30 October, 2010.
- Mentors contribute their time and money. // Curriculum Review;Nov92, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p20
Reports on the schools and organizations reaching out to their local business and professional communities for mentors to spend quality time with inner-city youths. Success of the Cornerstone Schools project in Detroit in asking the communities for donations and their recruitment of mentors;...
- Public relations: Invite town council members to school. // Curriculum Review;Jan1994, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p15
Reports that the Stratford County, Connecticut board of education won the understanding and support of the Stratford town council by inviting councilors to spend a day in schools. Activities of the councilors in schools; Contact information.
- On strengthening the arts community's commitment to arts education. Bellack, R. // Design for Arts in Education;Nov/Dec90, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p2
Reviews the historic place of artists and art institutions in helping to establish the arts as part of the core curriculum in schools as well as critical political and economic issues that currently confront the arts community.
- Community Schools. Tester, Nick // Education Journal;Jan2003, Issue 66, p15
Reports on the British government's plans for a network of 'extended schools' offering community information and health services on site. Generation gap between young learners and councilors; Call for an annual national campaign to bolster community schools; Need for more emphasis on outreach...
- Aboriginal culture part of new school's curriculum. Ross, Matt // Saskatchewan Sage;Nov2002, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p13
Focuses on the provision of high quality academic program and incorporation of First Nations and Mï¿½tis culture in the curriculum of Sakewew high school in North Battleford, Saskatchewan. Number of students enrolled at the school; Affirmation of the identity of students through educational...
- Against the odds, a charter moves into its second year. Russell, Judi // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);08/04/97, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p7
Looks at the financial status of the Jefferson Community School. Reference to the amount of money donated to offset financial problems encountered by the school; Names of some of the persons and organizations which have made donations for the opening of the school; Details on some of the...
- Schools shouldn't stay a status-quo symbol. // Crain's Detroit Business;9/20/93, Vol. 9 Issue 38, p6
Opinion. Stresses that status-quo symbolism be removed from Michigan's public-education system. Minneapolis, Minnesota schools' need for a new superintendent; Need for choice and competition to be a part of any reform of the state's public-school system.
- Neighborhood-school gains not realized, study finds. Gamble, Cheryl // Education Week;10/02/96, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p6
Reports that promises to make the Oklahoma City schools return to neighborhood schools after years of court-ordered busing have failed to materialize. Disputed claims.