Vets return to commemorate 50th anniversary of Iwo Jima
- Iwo Jima commemoration to be held. Miller, Kimberley J. // Marines;Jun94, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p3
Reports on the commemoration ceremonies for the 50th anniversary of the battle of Iwo Jima held in February 1995. Brief history of the battle; Past ceremonies held to commemorate the event; Schedule of activities.
- Two JPSO Young Marines Travel To Iwo Jima For Commemoration Services. Lee, Harry // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/14/2004, Vol. 24 Issue 51, p37
Reports that two marines will travel to Iwo Jima for commemoration services in Japan. Casualties in the Iwo Jima battle.
- 'Hell on Earth'. Peterson, Gordon I. // Sea Power;Nov2001, Vol. 44 Issue 11, p51
Focuses on a group of World War II veterans who returned to Iwo Jima in March 2001 during a trip organized by Military Historical Tours. Description of the 1945 Battle of Iwo Jima; Personal narratives of United States Marine Corps and Japanese Army veterans; Memorials in the island.
- 65 YEARS LATER: IWO JIMA VETERANS HONORED AT COMMEMORATION OF BATTLE. Sneden, Priscilla // Marines;Jan-Mar2010, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p36
The article focuses on the honoring of several fallen World War II veterans during its 65th commemoration ceremony anniversary at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle, Virginia, on February 19, 2010. It recalls the battle in Iwo Jima, Japan, during World War II which was...
- Remarks commemorating the 50th anniversary of Iwo Jima in Arlington, Virginia. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;2/27/95, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p276
Presents United States President Bill Clinton's remarks commemorating the 50th anniversary of Iwo Jima in Arlington, Virginia delivered on February 19, 1995. Insights on the battle of Iwo Jima.
- Iwo Jima: Hell on earth. Brown, Jerold E. // Military Review;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 75 Issue 2, following p112
Recalls the battle at Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945. Initial number of casualties as Japanese bombarded beaches; Location of Iwo Jima; Raising of the American flag atop Iwo Jima's Mount Suribachi by Marines on February 23, 1945; Number of Americans who died in the fighting.
- Japan and U.S. put war behind. // Current Events;4/3/95, Vol. 94 Issue 23, p2
Reports on the celebration of the anniversary on March 14, 1995 of the battle for the Pacific island of Iwo Jima in World War II. Cordial reunion of both American and Japanese veterans; Casualties in the battle for Iwo Jima.
- Forward from the sea 1945: Iwo Jima. // All Hands;Feb95, Issue 934, p11
Recalls the Second World War battle at the Island of Iwo Jima. Strategic importance of the island; Historical significance of the island to the Japanese.
- Blood, Sand, and Stone. // MHQ: Quarterly Journal of Military History;Winter2007, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p60
Several photographs of rock memorials made from soft volcanic rock by American soldiers to commemorate their comrades who died during the battle in Iwo Jima, Japan in 1945 are presented.