For our nuclear wastes, there's gridlock on the road to the dump
- New digs for US nuclear waste. // Engineer (00137758);2/22/2002, Vol. 291 Issue 7590, p5
Reports on the approval of a plan to build a centralized underground dump below the Yucca Mountain in Nevada for the disposal of U.S. nuclear wastes. Amount of nuclear waste produced in the U.S.; Disposal of nuclear wastes.
- Upfront QUIZ 3. // New York Times Upfront (Teacher's Edition);11/22/2002, Vol. 135 Issue 5, p6
Presents a quiz regarding nuclear waste disposal in Yucca Mountain, Nevada.
- EVALUATION OF RADIATION STABILITY OF GRANITOID ROCKS OF UKRAINE. Neklyudov, I. M.; Borts, B. V.; Bereznyak, O. P.; Sayenko, L. O. // Nuclear Physics & Atomic Energy;2012, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p276
For the purpose of prediction of the radiating stability of granitoid rocks in conditions of a burial of radioactive waste the experiments on irradiation granites by accelerated electrons with energy of E = 7 MEV have been made. Calculations of the absorbed doze distribution and lengths of...
- Nuclear utilities mulling Mescalero MRS proposal. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;3/21/94, Vol. 232 Issue 12, p16
Reports on the possibility of nuclear utilities' joining a consortium that would try to build a radioactive waste dump on the Mescalero Apache reservation near Ruidoso, New Mexico. Project to provide temporary storage for unspent nuclear fuel; Estimated initial cost; Utilities that are...
- Texas Bill Would Bring More Business to Radioactive Dump. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;5/18/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33519, p3
The article reports on the move of the legislature in Texas to expand a bond-financed radioactive waste dump site in West Texas county amid objections from environmentalists.
- Washington Observer. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;11/12/2007, Vol. 259 Issue 17, p9
The article reports on the debate between defenders and supporters of the U.S. Department of Energy's planned nuclear waste repository under Nevada's Yucca Mountain. Edward F. Sproat III, head of the office of civilian waste management at DOE, told the Senate Environment and Public Works...
- Some scientists are concerned. Goodrich, Lawrence J.; MacLachlan, Suzanne L. // Christian Science Monitor;3/6/95, Vol. 87 Issue 68, p2
Reports on the apprehensions of the scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory on the possible explosion of a planned underground nuclear dump in Nevada.
- Sellafield's Trojan horse. Edwards, Rob // New Scientist;1/6/96, Vol. 149 Issue 2011, p11
Discusses the public inquiry by six expert witnesses on Nuclear Industry Radioactive Waste Executive's (Nirex) plan to excavate a `rock characterization facility' (RCF) at Longlands Farm in Gosworth, Great Britain. Nuclear industry's plan to build an underground rock laboratory in Cumbria,...
- NRC Staff Found No Yucca Safety Issues--House GOP. LOBSENZ, GEORGE // Energy Daily;6/10/2011, Issue 111, p2
The article reports on a safety review of the proposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository by Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff. It was concluded that the site would meet all regulatory requirements to contain contamination for thousands of years. Republicans on the House Science, Space...