Arizona Town's Sales Tax Solves Fire District Problem, for Now
- Arkansas lawmakers may heed voters' appeals for tax reform. Sanders, Lisa // Bond Buyer;01/20/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30561, p23
Reports that Arkansas lawmakers may approve a tax reform measure in their 1999 session following continued pressure from voters who want to abolish property tax and replace it with sales tax. Impact of the abolition of property tax on the finance of local governments; Estimated amount of school...
- Nevada repeating its sad history. Myers, Dennis // Las Vegas Business Press;10/7/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 40, p5
Focuses on the tax structure in Nevada. Tax shift from property to sales taxes; Tax restructuring in the state.
- 2006 Property Tax Rates in Hays County ESD #5. // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);8/23/2006, Vol. 103 Issue 19, p10
The article presents a notice concerning property tax rates for Kyle, Texas in 2006. The notice is composed of three tax rates including the tax rate in 2005, the effective tax rate and the rollback tax rate in 2006. Information on unencumbered fund balances, debt service and expected revenue...
- Rational voting applied to choice of taxes. Biegeleisen, J. Alan; Sjoquist, David L. // Public Choice;Apr-Jun1988, Vol. 57 Issue 1-3, p39
Fulton County (Atlanta, Georgia) conducted a referendum on a local option sales tax. The referendum offered voters an opportunity to substitute a 1% sales tax for an equal amount of property taxes. The precinct level voting patterns of the referendum are anlyzed using a rational voter framework....
- Taxes: Maybe there is something you can do. Swagel, Will // Alaska Business Monthly;Dec96, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p46
Discusses the pros and cons of higher property tax vis-a-vis higher sales tax in Alaska and their impact in terms of businesses. Tax system in Alaska; Advantages and disadvantages of the two types of taxes; Factors to consider in choosing the right tax environment to construct; Effect of tax...
- Give yourself a raise, shop local. // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);9/6/2006, Vol. 103 Issue 21, p4
The article focuses on the advantages of shopping at local stores. Shopping locally not only helps local merchants but the buyers as well. If local residents buy from local retailers, the latter will flourish. The buyers will also benefit because they could save in property taxes due to the...
- FL: Proposed Sales Tax on Tenant Improvements. // GPP eNews;8/24/2012, p3
The article focuses on a review of the proposed sales tax on home improvements in Florida which will impose double taxation on tenants if adopted, on top of the taxes on materials, property tax and leases.
- A nasty year0end tax surprise. Ennico, Cliff // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;12/8/2003, Vol. 33 Issue 24, p10
Comments on the types of business taxes in the U.S. Complaint of a businessman on the tax impose on the product purchased from the Internet; Definition of a use tax; State policy on personal property tax.
- Final version of tax reform deserving of accolades. Hicks, Mike // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/24/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p29A
The article contends that the property tax changes that Indiana's governor and legislature have given are first-rate. According to the author, the property tax changes cap residential rates at 1%, rentals at 2%, and businesses at 3%, while increasing sales tax rates at 1%. The author adds that...