Ozone mystery solved
- Chemists poke holes in ozone theory. Schiermeier, Quirin // Nature;9/27/2007, Vol. 449 Issue 7161, p382
The article explores on the formation of the ozone holes, how it relates to climatic changes and how chemists are dealing with the problems. It states that the long-lived chloride compounds from the anthropogenic emissions of chlorofluorocarbons are the reasons of the seasonal ozone losses. The...
- Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (1985). // Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (1985);2009, p1
Presents the text of the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer, ratified September 22, 1988. Reasons for the Convention; Obligations agreed upon by parties of the Convention; Goals for continued research on the ozone layer; Measures for the continued establishment of the...
- The Ozone Hole SPLITS. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;11/8/2002, Vol. 84 Issue 10, p2
Reports on the splitting of the ozone hole into two. Description of the formation of ozone; Result of severe storms; Causes of the ozone hole. INSETS: Earth's Atomposphere;What's the Idea.
- The north hole? // Current Health 2;Sep92, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p25
Discusses the possibility that an Arctic ozone hole may be forming. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) research showing higher than expected levels of chlorine in the stratosphere over Canada, the northern United States, Britain, Scandinavia, and Russia; How chlorine destroys...
- Help save the ozone layer and win $30 million. // Current Health 2;Dec92, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p25
Reports that 23 American utility companies are offering a $30 million prize to the manufacturer who can design a refrigerator that will not use chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) and will also run on less electricity than today's models. CFCs and the ozone layer; The sun's ultraviolet rays; Super...
- Ozone update. // Current Health 2;Sep93, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p2
Reports on the thinning of the ozone layer above the Northern Hemisphere. Drop in global ozone levels; Spread of ozone-destroying chemicals from the Mount Pinatubo eruption in the Philippines; Role of ozone in filtering ultraviolet rays from the sun.
- Ozone update. // Current Health 2;Jan1996, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p2
Reports on the worsening hole problem in the Earth's ozone layer. Report of British meteorologist Jonathan Shanklin; International agreements to prevent worsening.
- A cool $30 million offered to help plug hole in ozone layer. // Current Health 1;Dec92, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p2
Reports that 23 American electric companies are offering $30 million to the manufacturer that can make a refrigerator that will not use chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) and will also use less electricity than today's models. CFC's destruction of the ozone layer; Sun's ultraviolet rays.
- New research may change ozone depletion numbers crunching. Mader, Robert P. // Contractor Magazine;Dec95, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p5
Reports that conventional models on ozone depletion have been skewed by an unexpected discovery in stratospheric chemistry. Stratospheric ozone's reaction with carbon dioxide; Problems with the original method used to study the stratosphere; Need to account for energy use.