Non-governmental organizations and their influence on international society
- Critical mass. Bencivenga, Jim // Christian Science Monitor;2/3/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 50, p15
Takes a look at the growing impact of humanitarian nongovernmental organizations (NGO) in global political affairs, and the role of the Internet.
- Globalizing Democracy. Barber, Benjamin R. // American Prospect;09/11/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 20, p16
Focuses on the international activism of nongovernmental organizations. Impact of rapid globalization of markets; Absence of benign democratic control in markets with an international settings; Need of international civil society for support from sovereign states.
- Reconstruction in Rwanda. Khan, Shahryar M. // UN Chronicle;1997, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p62
Narrates the experience of non-governmental institutions in rebuilding the devastated land of Rwanda after the chaos and genocide. Accounts on how the organizations rehabilitated the country; Tensions between the non-governmental organizations (NGO) and the government; Role of the United...
- l'Urgence de lire. // Archimag;dec2012/jan2013, Issue 260, p10
The article discusses efforts by the non-governmental agency BibliothÃ¨ques sans frontiÃ¨res (Libraries without borders) in providing books to people displaced by disasters and its call L'Urgence de lire (Urgency to read) requesting that reading, writing, and access to information become...
- A global campaign. Guttman, Cynthia // UNESCO Courier;Mar2000, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p18
Reports that non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are on the campaign trail to pressure governments and donors into keeping their promises on basic education at the World Education Forum in Dakar, Senegal, on April 26-28, 2000. Objective of the campaign; Role of NGOs in political advocacy;...
- Social pioneers come of age. Fisher, Julie // UNESCO Courier;Sep2000, Vol. 53 Issue 9, p17
Focuses on the explosion of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that questioned the role of the World Trade Organization in support of the contours of globalization. Background of the worldwide emergence of NGOs; Overview of their political activities; Implications of the trend.
- The Challenge of â€œWinning the Peaceâ€ in Aghanistan. Heil Jr., Alan L. // Washington Report on Middle East Affairs;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p25
Focuses on the civil war, banditry of Afghanistan and the international community that would help them in the aftermath of the Taliban rule. Dedication of the non-governmental aid organizations; Distribution of foods; Establishment of stabilized force.
- An Open Letter to NONGOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS. // JCK;Jun2001, Vol. 172 Issue 6, p144
Presents an open letter to non-governmental organizations campaigning for the ban on conflict diamonds. Importance of conflict diamond legislation in the United States for the industry and Africa; NGO's strategy of pressuring jewelers to support Congressman Tony Hall's bills; Necessity for the...
- Une pub monstre. // Beaux Arts Magazine;sep2008, Issue 291, p11
The article presents and discusses an image depicting an elephant and part of a gun which was part of an advertising campaign created by the advertising agency Aimaq Rapp Stolle from Berlin, Germany, for the German non-governmental organization Pro Wildlife in November 2007.