Error analysis: Assessing developmental writing
- The Role of Process and Product Approaches to the Teaching of Writing. Khansir, Ali Akbar // Language in India;
The aim of the paper is to compare and examines product and process approaches to the teaching of writing. Myles (2002, p.1) argues that "academic writing requires conscious effort and much practice in composing, developing, and analyzing ideas. Writing is a combination of process and product"...
- The finer points of pronouns. Andreae, Christopher // Christian Science Monitor;2/8/95, Vol. 87 Issue 51, p16
Presents the finer points of the pronoun `they'. Use of the word by the author in his childhood and journalism career.
- Keeping English correct. Munson, James // Contemporary Review;May97, Vol. 270 Issue 1576, p255
Proposes the setting of an `English Institute.' Account on how the pronunciation of English and one style of speaking became possible with the arrival of British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) radio; `A Dictionary of Modern English Usage,' published by Oxford University Press; Importance of...
- Let's learn contractions! Jitendra, Asha K.; Togerson-Tubiello, Rachael // Teaching Exceptional Children;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p16
Describes the planning and implementation of methods to teach a group of low-performing second graders and one with learning disabilities about contractions or abbreviated words. Objectives of the program; Development of teaching procedures; Evaluation of instruction; Sample lesson plan. INSET:...
- Parse This! Rosenfeld, Emmet // Teacher Magazine;Mar99, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p48
Ponders on the way English grammar is taught in the 1990s. How grammar was taught in the traditional manner and in this period; Grammar in linguistics and politics.
- Grammar Scammer. Sorokin, Ellen // Insight on the News;02/07/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p30
Offers a look at the stand of a Kirk Hazen, a linguistic teacher at West Virginia University, on the use of standard English language. Argument on pure English language; Emphasis of Hazen on learning correct English language.
- Integrating writing strategy instruction with content-area instruction: Part II--writing processes. Ellis, Edwin S. // Intervention in School & Clinic;Mar94, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p219
Part II. Focuses on how teachers can frame understandings of information formats into a writing version of the executive strategy. Application of strategy in the context of ongoing content instruction; Extension of the strategy into new problem-solving domains; Effectiveness of the procedure.
- Writing process versatility. First, Cynthia G.; MacMillan, Bob // Intervention in School & Clinic;Sep95, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p21
Demonstrates writing process versatility through the use of three prewriting activities with color-coded clustering. General education's increased acceptance of the teaching of writing as a process; Importance of prewriting as the first stage of the writing process; Clustering as a prewriting tool.
- Instruction and achievement in written composition in primary and secondary schools. De Glopper, K. // European Education;Spring95, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p71
Presents an overview of the results of two studies on the practices and products of writing instruction. Complaints about the quality of written composition; Material offered in primary and secondary education; Basis of data from a written questionnaire.