Error analysis: Assessing developmental writing
- Writing, grammar and punctuation. Rouledge, Louise // NATE Classroom;Spring2012, Issue 16, p52
The article offers tips for teaching grammar, writing skills, and punctuation to primary students in Great Britain and provides relevant resources available at www.teachitprimary.co.uk/nateclassroom. It suggests keeping grammar teaching practical and fun, giving constant reminders, and making it...
- The Role of Process and Product Approaches to the Teaching of Writing. Khansir, Ali Akbar // Language in India;
The aim of the paper is to compare and examines product and process approaches to the teaching of writing. Myles (2002, p.1) argues that "academic writing requires conscious effort and much practice in composing, developing, and analyzing ideas. Writing is a combination of process and product"...
- The finer points of pronouns. Andreae, Christopher // Christian Science Monitor;2/8/95, Vol. 87 Issue 51, p16
Presents the finer points of the pronoun `they'. Use of the word by the author in his childhood and journalism career.
- English as a basic skill needs to be promoted. Mackinnon, Iain // People Management;2/20/1997, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p47
States that companies should help employees with language problems if they are to make the best use of their talents. Estimated number of people in Great Britain whose skills in English are limited; Purpose of the draft national strategy for `English for speakers of other languages' (Esol). ...
- Keeping English correct. Munson, James // Contemporary Review;May97, Vol. 270 Issue 1576, p255
Proposes the setting of an `English Institute.' Account on how the pronunciation of English and one style of speaking became possible with the arrival of British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) radio; `A Dictionary of Modern English Usage,' published by Oxford University Press; Importance of...
- Let's learn contractions! Jitendra, Asha K.; Togerson-Tubiello, Rachael // Teaching Exceptional Children;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p16
Describes the planning and implementation of methods to teach a group of low-performing second graders and one with learning disabilities about contractions or abbreviated words. Objectives of the program; Development of teaching procedures; Evaluation of instruction; Sample lesson plan. INSET:...
- Parse This! Rosenfeld, Emmet // Teacher Magazine;Mar99, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p48
Ponders on the way English grammar is taught in the 1990s. How grammar was taught in the traditional manner and in this period; Grammar in linguistics and politics.
- ...such bitter business--this `rule' on prepositions. Spear, Michael M. // Journalism & Mass Communication Educator;Winter99, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p77
Discusses a rule on the use of prepositions that prohibits the writer from using prepositions at the end of sentences. Tendency of some teachers to allow using prepositions at the end of sentences; Reaction of students; Views of journalists and writers; Awkwardness of using prepositions at the...
- Grammar Scammer. Sorokin, Ellen // Insight on the News;02/07/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p30
Offers a look at the stand of a Kirk Hazen, a linguistic teacher at West Virginia University, on the use of standard English language. Argument on pure English language; Emphasis of Hazen on learning correct English language.