- Yosemite landslide: Caught in the act. Davidson, Keay // Earth;Dec96, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p12
Presents photographs describing the granite landslide in Yosemite National Park, California on July 10, 1996. Size and speed of rocks falling into valley floor; Mortality and injuries; Destruction to property.
- International relief workers arrived by horseback. MacLachlan, Suzanne; Mutch, David // Christian Science Monitor;4/3/95, Vol. 87 Issue 88, p2
Reports the arrival of relief workers on horseback to the Afghan village which faced massive landslide on March 27, 1995. Cause of the landslide.
- Water sets off road collapse. Leech, Graeme; Perry, Bronwen // Geodate;Sep97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p9
Presents the actual article which originally appeared in the August 1, 1997 issue of `The Australian' periodical about the cause of the landslide that occurred in Thredbo, Australia. Also contains activities for students related to the article. INSET: Student activities..
- Locals know best in Nepal. Sykes, Lisa // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Jul96, Vol. 68 Issue 7, p8
Focuses on the occurrence of landslides in Nepal. Causes of landslides and soil erosions; University of California professor Jack Ives' findings on the methods use by local people to divert landslides; British ecologist Rita Gardner's study of local landslides.
- Wildfires and landslides: Linked? Guglielmino, Janine; Smith, Dan // American Forests;Winter/Spring97, Vol. 103 Issue 1, p6
Presents the scientist's study on the cause of landslide in American River Canyon in Eldorado National Forest. Why the Canyon was considered unstable area; How the landslide originated; Organizations that investigates the relationship between forest fires and landslides.
- Frank Slide. Seager, Allen // Beaver;Apr/May96, Vol. 76 Issue 2, p41
Discusses factors that might have triggered the Frank Slide, a landslide in Canada in April 29, 1903. Destruction of coal mines; History of the mines; Flaws in the administrative system; Casualties; Destroyed properties.
- Foundations for catastrophe. Grescoe, Taras // Canadian Geographic;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 117 Issue 2, p16
Discusses information about the landslide on Rue Henry-McNicoll on July 20, 1996. Victims of the landslides; Characteristics of the clay in the landslides according to Jules Dufour, geomorphologist at the Universite du Quebec a Chicoutimi; Problems about the prevention of such tragedies...
- A mountain moves. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/07/96, Issue 41, p22
Reports that on September 10, 1996, an avalanche of trash accumulated from households in La Coruna and neighboring communities in Spain's northwestern coastline, collapsed in a landslide causing the death of a resident. When the avalanche began; What caused the avalanche; Fears officials...
- Fatal mountain. Blair, Tim; Creadon, Michael // Time International (South Pacific Edition);08/11/97, Issue 32, p46
Discusses the July 30, 1997 landslide above the Thredbro ski resort in New South Wales. Questions about the cause of the landslide; Criticism about the lack of attention to the potential risks of mountainside construction; Deaths and injuries caused by the landslide.