A technological dream turns into a nightmare
- Power for the people: Energy and the environment. Kock, Irene; Malcolmson, Sheila // Women & Environments;Winter/Spring91, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p18
Presents the protests worldwide against nuclear power and the environmental problems associated with it. Examples of countries reported to have protest movements; Influences of women in the protests; Suggested alternative sources of energy.
- Global warming: No nuclear quick fix. Miller, A.; Mintzer, I. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Jun1990, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p30
Argues against the sudden expansion of nuclear power worldwide in order to reduce the risks of global warming. High capital costs; Large-scale plants and supporting infrastructure; Problems in meeting `Toronto target' global carbon emissions.
- Environmentalists divided on role of nuclear power for world's energy needs. Heffern, Rich // National Catholic Reporter;4/1/2011, Vol. 47 Issue 12, p6
The article focuses on the divided points of view of several environmentalists in dealing with the efficiencies and risks of using nuclear-derived source of energy.
- Government faces both ways on Thorp. Webb, Jeremy // New Scientist;7/10/93, Vol. 139 Issue 1881, p6
Reports on the case against thermal oxide reprocessing plant (THORP). Amendment from John Major and five Cabinet Ministers; License for THROP to discharge nuclear waste; Figures for potential income; Requirements imposed by the contract; Storage of spent fuel.
- The Hazardous Waste Identification Rule (HWIR): Too Little, Too Late. Berges, Lynn L. // Pollution Engineering;Aug2001, Vol. 33 Issue 7, p9
Reports the rule issued by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on summarizing and explaining the Hazardous Waste Identification Rule. Awareness of the EPA to concerns with the original mixture and derived-from rules; Conditions under 266.230 of the Nuclear Regulatory...
- Split Atoms and Hot Air. Sweeney, Dave; Matthews, Michele // Chain Reaction;Spring2001, Issue 86, p18
Examines the efforts of nuclear power advocates to revitalize the industry by positioning nuclear power as the best answer to the growing greenhouse problem. Result of studies and operational experience on nuclear power; List of considerations on nuclear power; Problems posed by nuclear power.
- Clearing the Air Of Nuclear Myths. Spun, Brandon // Insight on the News;5/20/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p24
Assesses the use of nuclear energy. Advantages of nuclear power; Reason for the efforts of investors to avoid nuclear power plant investments; Problem of nuclear waste disposal.
- View from the Headquarters. Messaoudi, Ilham // Military Technology;2011, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p6
In this article, the author discusses the danger of nuclear power plants and their severe consequences to people and environment worldwide.
- The Answer Is Nuclear Power. Rusher, William // Human Events;05/28/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 20, p10
States that the prospect of rolling blackouts in New York City and California in the summer of 2001 triggered the proposal to use nuclear power as source of electric power. Fear of environmentalists in the United States on nuclear power; Fanning concerns on nuclear power; Advantages of nuclear...