Death from above in ancient China
- Space Rock Hits House. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;3/19/2007, Vol. 63 Issue 18, p3
This article reports that a space rock has crashed through the roof of a house in Freehold, New Jersey.
- Chronology of the Year's Events: August 1999, General. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p65
No abstract available.
- Dating craters. Yeaple, J. // Popular Science;Nov89, Vol. 235 Issue 5, p128
Discusses how scientists are using a new radioisotopic dating process to trace the origins of the Meteor Crater in Arizona. The dating methods used in the study were pioneered by James Arnold, a professor at the University of California, San Diego.
- Space rocks clobber town. // Current Events;1/3/94, Vol. 93 Issue 14, p3
No abstract available.
- More meteorites! Charlesworth, Kate // New Scientist;7/24/93, Vol. 139 Issue 1883, p45
Presents illustrations of different meteorites. Stony chondrites; Stony achondrites; Carbonaceous condrites; More.
- Huge wave buries Virginia coast. // Current Science;1/17/92, Vol. 77 Issue 10, p13
Talks about the theory of Dr. C. Wylie Poag of the US Geological Survey who thinks that a huge meteorite struck the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Virginia. Results of wave; Clues of wave's formation; Evidence from glassy rocks called tektites;Other evidence of the meteorite splash.
- Rocks roll in from outer space! Bedway, Barbara // Science World;9/4/92, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p10
Presents a discussion on meteorites and tells of how 13-year-old Brodie Spaulding found one in his yard. How he knew it was something other than a regular rock; How meteorites hold important clues about our world; How to increase your chances of finding one; Other people that have discovered...
- Meteorites: Where they come from, how they travel, what they do when they get here. // Science World;9/4/92, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p12
Gives a variety of information on meteorites. Most orbit the sun in a path called the asteroid belt; How they crash to the Earth; Glowing trail is called a meteor; Atmospheric friction; Kinetic energy; Diagram of the solar system.
- Pennies from heaven? // Science World;9/4/92, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p14
Offers a look at the three different types of meteorites. Stony; Iron; Stony-iron; Details and description of each; How to tell the difference.
- On the trail of a meteorite. Spratt, C.E. // Astronomy;Aug89, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p70
Discusses the abundance of meteorites that fall to Earth's surface and how many amateur meteorite hunters search for them. Reasons for quest; Different types of meteorites; Recognizing and testing meteorites. INSET: Owning a piece of the universe.;Stalking the elusive meteorite....