Obesity in America: Heavy news
- French obesity ranks low vs UK, USA. // Obesity & Health;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p24
Reports that in a three country comparison, based on 5,580 self-reported questionnaires, the prevalence of obesity at age 16 to 50 was lowest in France, somewhat higher in the United Kingdom, and much higher in the United States. How in all three countries, obesity was linked to sex, age, level...
- Behavioral risk factor surveillance. // Obesity & Health;Mar/Apr94, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p32
Comments on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), which collects data monthly from 47 states and the District of Columbia to provide state-specific monitoring of progress toward several goals listed in Healthy People 2000. Prevalence of overweight by state; Physical activity;...
- America weighs in. Dortch, Shannon // American Demographics;Jun97, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p38
Focuses on statistics of overweight Americans. Information on obese adults aged 20 to 74; How health care market can benefit from overweight people; Why body mass index (BMI) was considered by researchers as the best way to determine overweight; Average daily calorie intake of adults aged 20 to...
- Your Part in a Slimmer Future. Jeffries, Jane // Trustee;Oct2012, Vol. 65 Issue 9, p4
The article presents statistics about the obesity crisis in the U.S. and comments how health care trustees can be the best hope in addressing the crisis.
- It's not a small world, after all. Poe, Randall; Courter, Carol Lee // Across the Board;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 34 Issue 10, p7
Reports that obesity is increasing among Americans. Percentage of increase from 1981 to 1997; Other countries showing equally increasing rates according to World Health Organization; Greatest problem of slimming industries.
- Fattening of America. // Healthy Weight Journal;Sep/Oct94, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p85
Documents a dramatic increase in obesity rates for United States adults over a decade, from 25.4 to 33.3 percent of adult Americans. Ethical challenge to the National Institutes of Health, the research and medical community and the general public; Pressures on regulatory agencies to ease their...
- Rural Canadians weigh more. // Healthy Weight Journal;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p6
Reveals that obesity is more prevalent in rural than urban areas of the western Canadian prairies as reported in the 1989 Canadian Heart Health Surveys. Average body mass index (BMI); Percentage with abdominal obesity; Percentages of men and women who are trying to lose weight.
- NHANES III shows more Americans overweight, including kids. // Nation's Health;Apr97, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the analysis from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) that represent significant increases of overweight in all age groups. Two primary behavioral factors believed to be associated with being overweight; Proportion of overweight children and...
- Outward bound. // Vegetarian Times;Jun93, Issue 190, p14
Reports on a finding of the Louis Harris poll that 66 percent of Americans are overweight. Metropolitan Life Insurance Scale; Statistics.