The endocrine functions of the kidney
- Independent action of prostaglandins and kinins on vasopressin-stimulated water flow. Carvounis, Georgia; Carvounis, Christos P.; Arbeit, Leonard A. // Kidney International;Mar1985, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p512
The kallikrein-kinin and the prostaglandin systems are both important modifiers of vasopressin action. This study examines whether the systems are dependent on one another for their action. Four groups of toad hemibladders were examined. In groups 1 and 2 animals the endogenous prostaglandin...
- Kinins. Herwald, Heiko; Müller-Esterl, Werner // Encyclopedic Reference of Molecular Pharmacology;2004, p541
A definition of the term "kinins" is presented. It refers to a group of oligopeptides of 8 to 11 residues that act locally as proinflammatory agents, often through the release of powerful downstream effectors such as nitric oxide and/or prostaglandins. It offers information on the enzymes...
- Regulation of renal function by prostaglandin E receptors. Breyer, Matthew D.; Yahua Zhang; You-Fei Guan; Chuan-Ming Hao; Hebert, Richard L.; Beyer, Richard M. // Kidney International Supplement;Sep1998, Issue 67, pS-88
Investigates the regulation of renal function by prostaglandin E receptors. Increase of cAMP generation in the cortical thick due to prostaglandin E[sub 2]; Contribution of E-prostanoid (EP)[sub 4] receptor activation to the regulation of renin; Effect of renal EP-receptor activation for salt...
- Renal kallikrein-kinin system damage and salt sensitivity: Insights from experimental models. Ardiles, Leopoldo G.; Figueroa, Carlos D.; Mezzano, Sergio A. // Kidney International Supplement;Oct2003, Issue 86, p2
Renal kallikrein-kinin system damage and salt sensitivity: Insights from experimental models. The importance of tubulointerstitial injury in the pathophysiology of human essential hypertension, and particularly salt sensitivity, is increasingly recognized. Since the renal kallikrein-kinin system...
- The role of urinary kininogen in the regulation of kinin generation. Weinberg, Marc S.; Azar, Peter; Trebbin, Wayne M.; Solomon, Richard J. // Kidney International;Dec1985, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p975
The kallikrein-kininogen-kinin system has been postulated to play a role in the regulation of blood pressure and modulation of renal salt and water transport. The activity of this system has usually been determined by measurements of urinary kallikrein excretion. However urinary kallikrein...
- Prostaglandins in macula densa function. Harris, Raymond C.; Jun-Lin Wang; Hua-Fang Cheng; Ming-Zhi Zhang; McKanna, James A. // Kidney International Supplement;Sep1998, Issue 67, pS-49
Examines the prostaglandins in macula densa. Increase on the expression of prostaglandins due to cyclooxygenase messenger RNA and immunoreactive protein; Role for eicosanoid in mediating renin release; Effect of prostaglandins on the renin-angiotensin system and glomerular hemodynamics.
- Absence of blood-pressure lowering effect of captopril in anephric patients. Leslie, Bruce R.; Case, David B.; Sullivan, John F.; Vaughan Jr., E. Darracott // British Medical Journal;4/19/1980, Vol. 280 Issue 6221, p1067
Focuses on the absence of blood-pressure in lowering the effects of captopril in anephric patients. Discussions on the active renal renin-angiotensin system; Determination of plasma renin activity; Accumulation of vasodilator kinins.
- The cyclopentenone prostaglandin 15-deoxy-?12,14-prostaglandin J2 ameliorates ischemic acute renal failure. Chatterjee, Prabal Kumar; Patel, Nimesh S.A.; Cuzzocrea, Salvatore; Brown, Paul A.J.; Stewart, Keith N.; Mota-Filipe, Helder; Britti, Domenico; Eberhardt, Wolfgang; Pfeilschifter, Josef; Thiemermann, Christoph // Cardiovascular Research;Feb2004, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p630
Objective: Here we investigate the effects of the endogenous prostaglandin D2 metabolite 15-deoxy-?12,14-prostaglandin J2, on the renal dysfunction and injury caused by ischemia/reperfusion of the kidney. Methods: Male Wistar rats, subjected to bilateral renal ischemia for 45 min followed by...
- Effects of Drugs on the Nose and Middle Ear. Jackson, Richard T. // Clinical Pediatrics;Sep1973, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p559
Investigates the effects of several drugs on the nose and eustachian tube of dogs. Drugs that decrease nasal patency; Drugs that change eustachian tube patency; Effects of kinins and prostaglandins.