ASHRAE Studies Supermarket Technology
- U.S. supermarkets strive for efficiency. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;11/08/99, Vol. 208 Issue 10, p9
Discusses the impact of supermarkets' efficiency-improvement initiatives on the commercial refrigeration business in the United States. Increase in refrigeration-system demand due to the increase in the average size of supermarket stores; Need to address the increase in supermarkets'...
- Research Into Secondary-Loop Systems Continues. Powell, Peter // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;10/16/2000, Vol. 211 Issue 7, p34
Reports on the continuing research on secondary-loop refrigeration technology for the supermarket industry. Alternative to the traditional direct-expansion refrigeration systems; Testing phase focusing on providing insulation on the supply lines of the thermofluid circulating loop.
- UK a leader in transcritical CO2. // ACR News: Air Conditioning & Refrigeration News;Mar2012, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p27
The article reports that Great Britain leads the way in the adoption of CO2 transcritical refrigeration system in European supermarkets, with 267 stores running the systems, following Denmark's 424.
- A truly super market. Humphrey, Joe // Engineered Systems;May2000, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p72
Focuses on trends affecting the design and construction of supermarket refrigeration systems in the United States. Product safety standards; Effects of environmental issues on supermarket owners' choice of refrigerant systems; Improvements in energy use.
- Service tech says converting from R-502 to R-408A requires less labor. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;6/19/95, Vol. 195 Issue 8, p8
Looks at the benefits of retrofitting frozen food racks from the case of Super Foodtown Supermarket in Trenton, New Jersey. Predictions on cost savings; Availability of R-502; Leak check and repair; Recovery of CFC gas; Profitability of the retrofitting process.
- The effects of retrofitting on an older display case. Faramarzi, Ramin; Kemp, Kimberly // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;06/07/99, Vol. 207 Issue 6, p26
Examines effect of retrofit technologies on energy consumption of multi-deck meat display case at supermarkets in the United States. Energy consumption of various display cases; Factors contributing to case load; Improvement of lighting system; Reduction of cooling load and refrigerant mass...
- Number crunching key to controlling supermarket mechanical systems. // Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration News;11/13/95, Vol. 196 Issue 11, p44
Discusses the importance of number crunching in controlling refrigeration systems in supermarkets. Features of number crunching; Comment by Beverly Morris, manager of financial planning and analysis of Kroger Co.; Benefits of number crunching.
- Report Details HFC-Free Refrigerants. // Chain Store Age;Nov2012, Vol. 88 Issue 7, p52
The article focuses on a report, titled "HFC-Free Technologies Are Available in the U.S. Market for the Supermarket-Retail Refrigeration Sector," by non-profit organization Environmental Investigation Agency, highlighting the availability of environmental friendly refrigerants.
- New secondary systems are earth-friendly. // Chain Store Age;May96, Vol. 72 Issue 5, p148
Summarizes the `Secondary Systems' workshop at SPECS/96 held in Orlando, Florida. Comparison of benefits and setbacks of experimental secondary systems aimed at minimizing greenhouse effect of supermarket refrigeration equipment; Ammonia as proposed primary refrigerant; Ozone depletion...