Bill Seeks Private-Activity Bonds for Tribes
- Tribal warfare. Oleck, Joan // Restaurant Business;6/10/93, Vol. 92 Issue 9, p56
Focuses on the Native Americans' desire to build more casinos and the state government's efforts to stop it. Quashing of a bill allowing the building of casinos in Hartford and Bridgeport, Connecticut; Approval of a constitutional amendment banning all gaming in Wisconsin; Legislation banning...
- Tribal leaders. // Native American Connections;1996/97, p34
Presents a list of Indian tribal leaders in the United States as of the year 1996. Location; Name of tribes; Name of leaders; Contact information.
- The politics of Aboriginality. Hall, Tony // Canadian Dimension;Jan/Feb93, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p6
Discusses the issues of Aboriginal politics. The referendum on the Charlottetown accord and the Assembly of First Nations (AFN); Distance between AFN's constituents and its leadership; The Prairie Treaty Nations Alliance (PTNA); Aboriginal university students; Canada's constitutional crisis and...
- Native Americans wield new political clout. Van Slambrouck, Paul // Christian Science Monitor;10/27/99, Vol. 91 Issue 232, p3
Takes a look at the increased political activity of Native Americans in the United States.
- All this time, and this is the answer? // Windspeaker;Dec2002, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p4
Editorial. Criticizes the decision of the British Columbian Assembly of First Nations to hold a special chiefs' assembly in November 2002. Futility of the resolution passed at the assembly; Money spent on organization of the assembly; Decision of the mainstream press to stay away from the...
- Bands on the run. Sillars, Les // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;09/15/97, Vol. 24 Issue 40, p8
Looks at problems that Indians in Canada are facing with their leadership in 1997. How the Canadian government is involved; Public pressure which may have further motivated government action; The frustration that Indians have with some of their leaders; Tribal actions taken against leadership;...
- Priest supports tribal protest. // National Catholic Reporter;9/8/95, Vol. 31 Issue 39, p6
Reports on Capuchin priest Father John Hascall support of protests by members of the Keeweenaw Bay Indians in Michigan against the tribal president Fred Dakota's actions concerning elections held in December 1994.
- Tribal Bond Issuance Jumps 470%. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;2/19/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31327, p31
Reports on increase in debts issued by tribal governments in the U.S., as of February 19, 2002. General obligation bonds offered by the Mohegan Tribe of Indians in Connecticut; Underwriter of bonds issued by the Southern Ute Indian Reservation in Colorado; Reasons behind the increase in debts...
- Arizona Senate OKs Tribal Role In Public Projects. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/8/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31382, p3
Reports the approval of the legislation allowing tribal governments to participate in publicly funded projects in Arizona. Construction and financing of football stadium; Need of fulfilling the financial and logistical requirements; Issuance of excise-tax revenue bonds.