Georgia House Rejects Governor's Tobacco Tax Hike as State Faces $1 Billion Gap
- Senate kills gambling at least for now. Dornin, Chris // New Hampshire Business Review;4/15/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p1
The article reports that even as word emerged that a projected state budget shortfall could reach as high as $184 million, the Senate issued an emphatic statement against allowing the installation of video slot machines at up to seven locations in New Hampshire. Meanwhile, Legislative Budget...
- Cook Relies on Smoking. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;2/15/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32320, p31
The article reports that the Cook County Board of Commissioners has approved a budget for fiscal 2006 that depends in part cigarette tax increase to close a 95 million dollar revenue gap. A two dollar increase of cigarette tax will become 4.05 dollar in federal, state, city and county taxes on...
- THE SMOKE TAX MUDDLE. Cameron, S. // Contemporary Review;Oct89, Vol. 255 Issue 1485, p191
This article discusses about imposition of taxation on cigarette. The 1989 budget has brought protest about the failure of the U.S. government to raise the level of direct taxation on cigarettes. As in other years when the rate was raised there has been a failure to grasp certain implications...
- HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH? Crawford, Tom // Georgia Trend;May2007, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p122
The article presents the author's views on the increased budget of Georgia. The author said that for the fiscal year 2003, when Roy Barnes was succeeded by Sonny Perdue as governor, the state budget was about $15 billion. It is informed that Perdue and his legislative colleagues didn't opt to...
- CASEY BACK AT BAT. Crane, Bill // Georgia Trend;Apr2013, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p17
The article reports that in order to close a growing state budget gap, then Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue in the 2010 General Assembly attempted to rally his Republican legislative team in favor of a new hospital bed tax. To establish a 1.45% excise fee on gross hospital revenues to help close...
- Taxing Tobacco. // State Legislatures;Mar2010, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p7
The article reports on the increase in taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products around the U.S.
- NY begins tax collections on Indian cigarettes. Gormley, Michael // Native American Times;7/22/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p1
The article reports on the renewed effort of New York to collect taxes on the tobacco products and cigarettes sold by Native American companies in July 2011, which led to seizures of untaxed tobacco products outside Indian land worth 1.2 million U.S. dollars.
- Tobacco Tax Hike Takes Steps Toward Passing. Williams, Walt // State Journal (WV);2/25/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p7
The article reports on the proposed state tax hike for cigarettes and other tobacco products in 2011 in West Virginia.
- Eye On Tobacco Taxes. Master, Melissa // Convenience Store News;3/28/2005, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p16
The article focuses on the taxes implied on tobacco. With state governing bodies around the country convening for spring sessions, there is a lot of legislative attention zooming in on tobacco taxes. There is a combination of factors at work: increased public attention to the dangers of tobacco,...