The Performance of Typically Developing 2 1/2-Year-Olds on Dynamic Display AAC Technologies With Different System Layouts and Language Organizations
- Augmentative and alternative communication impact on families: Trends and future directions. Parette, Howard P.; Angelo, Dianne H. // Journal of Special Education;Spring96, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p77
Examines the impact of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) on families. Family as a system; Prescription of appropriate AAC devices; Implementation of AAC across multiple contexts; Maintenance of AAC use; Anticipation of transition needs.
- Using visual accents to enhance attending to communications symbols for students with severe... Bailey, Brent R.; Downing, June // Re:View;Fall94, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p101
Reports on the provision of communication symbols for students with multiple disabilities. Effects of visual impairments to information obtaining ability; Components of cognitive processes; Role of pictographic presentations; Benefits of alternative and augmented communications (AAC); Insight...
- Discourse comprehension of synthetic speech across three augmentative and alternative... Higginbotham, Jeffrey; Scally, Christine A. // Journal of Speech & Hearing Research;Aug95, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p889
Examines the relative effects of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) speech output methods on a listener's ability to summarize paragraph-length texts. Problem with the comprehension of speech message output from AAC; Quality of the synthetic speech signal; Categories of the...
- Spoken messages as auditory cues for orientation in promoting indoor travel and activity by... Lancioni, G.E.; Oliva, D. // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Oct97, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p403
Examines the study which was used to assess the effectiveness of relatively infrequent spoken messages in guiding persons who have multiple disabilities to destinations. How infrequent buzzer-like sounds would match the effects of spoken messages; Comparison of the differences between spoken...
- Teaching Partner-Focused Questions to Individuals Who Use Augmentative and Alternative Communication to Enhance Their Communicative Competence. Light, Janice C.; Binger, Cathy; Agate, Tracy L.; Ramsay, Karen N. // Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research;Feb1999, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p241
Presents information on an experimental design used to investigate the effect of instruction on the acquisition, generalization, and long-term maintenance of partner-focused questions by individuals who use augmentative and alternative communication. Methodology; Teaching of the use of...
- Augmentative and Alternative Communications for Persons with Autism: History, Issues, and Unanswered Questions. Ogletree, Billy T.; Harn, William E. // Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities;Fall2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p138
Introduces a series of articles which focus on augmentative and alternative communication for persons with autism. Initiatives for addressing the problem on communicative deficits of individuals with autism.
- Autism, Augmentative Communication, and Assistive Technology: What Do We Really Know? Mirenda, Pat // Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities;Fall2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p141
Presents a review of literatures about augmentative and alternative communication (ACC) for individuals with autism. Assessment of ACC systems; Staff and family training; Information on ACC intervention strategies.
- Dynamic Assessment of Graphic Symbol Combinations by Children with Autism. Nigam, Ravi // Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities;Fall2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p190
Focuses on the applications of augmentative and alternative communication systems in persons with autism. Information on a zone proximal development assessment technique; Language and communication intervention for children with autism; Milieu language teaching strategies.
- AAC, Literacy, and Bilingualism. Harrison-Harris, Ovetta L. // ASHA Leader;11/5/2002, Vol. 7 Issue 20, p4
Focuses on challenges faced by U.S. augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) users, who are bilingual, in the attainment of literacy skills. Reasons why literacy development holds additional importance for AAC communicators; Author's experience with Yvonne, an AAC user; Techniques...