Bruno, Silver Agree to Alternate Tax Backing for New York Tobacco Bonds
- Albany budget showdown. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;5/1/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 18, p1
Reports on an bipartisan budget deal brokered in Albany between Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver and Senate majority leader Joseph Bruno. Oppositions faced by the budget deal; Objectives of the budget deal.
- Bruno Proposes Road Bonds for Upstate N.Y., Long Island. Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;03/16/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30850, p4
Focuses on New York State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno's plan to add to the fall ballot a bond referendum to fund road and bridge projects. Goal of establishing parity in spending between New York City and Long Island; Debate over the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's capital budget.
- N.Y. Officials Announce Budget Reform Plan. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;1/17/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32548, p3
The article reports on the announcement made by New York Governor Eliot Spitzer on a proposed agreement with Republican Senate Majority leader Joseph Bruno and Democratic Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Under the agreement, the Legislature would be required to enact a balanced budget and would...
- Yesterday's Legislature. Gurwitt, Rob // Governing;Mar2000, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p26
Provides information on the New York Legislature. Percentage of incumbents winning reelection; Reforms on rules on gift-giving to legislators; Political careers of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno.
- Cleaning up the Albany mess. // Crain's New York Business;6/23/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 25, p8
The article reports on the political condition of Albany, New York. The question is if anything can be done to fix what everyone calls the "mess in Albany." "The mess" is a system that seems truly unresponsive. All decisions are made by three men â€” the governor, Assembly Speaker Sheldon...
- Don't believe the Albany fakers. // Crain's New York Business;10/25/2004, Vol. 20 Issue 43, p8
The article reports that legislators in New York state who have marched in lockstep behind Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno as they have made a mess in Albany, but who now claim to be advocates of reform. Dennis Rivera's health care workers union, for...
- Bad bond deal, and all that. Townsend, Alair // Crain's New York Business;8/18/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 33, p9
The article focuses on bond deals between the governor and the mayor of U.S. Republicans and Democrats. This fight is between Republican governor George Pataki and Democratic state comptroller Alan Hevesi against Republican Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Democratic Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and...
- Bruno: No bonding for N.Y. school debt. Roy, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;08/04/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30201, p48
Reports that New York Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno opposes a plan to have the Dormitory Authority issue appropriation-backed bonds to fund the state's prior-year school aid liability. Total liability due to New York City.
- Judge orders legislators to reveal pork barrel sponsorship. // Buffalo Law Journal;10/30/2006, Vol. 78 Issue 87, p17
The article reports on the ruling of State Supreme Court Justice Robert Sackett of Sullivan County that leaders of the state Legislature should disclose the names of lawmakers who decided how to spend the taxpayer money on pork barrel projects. The ruling came about when "Albany Times Union"...