Corporate America's Scariest Opponent
- After $190M settlement, Coke rep speaks to Black press. Muhammad, Simeon Booker // New York Amsterdam News;02/01/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p3
Presents an interview with Cyrus Mehri, a lawyer in Washington. Involvement in the race bias settlements against Texaco Inc. and Coca Cola Co.; Importance of commitment and compassion; Concentration on class action lawsuits.
- A Reformer Who Means Business. Salter, Chuck // Fast Company;Apr2003, Issue 69, p102
Features racial discrimination lawyer Cyrus Mehri. Contributions to the racial discrimination cases; Description of Mehri; Percentage of the settlements that are allocated for attorney's fees; Criticism to Mehri; Common complaint among corporate defense attorneys. INSET: CYRUS MEHRI'S HURRY-UP...
- Rule 23 and the Class Action for Damages: Reply to the Report of the American College of Trial.... Patrick Jr., J. Vernon; Cherner, Marvin // Business Lawyer;Jul73, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p1097
Presents a reply to the report of the American College of Trial Lawyers on the class action for damages. Offer of suggestions to trial procedures and the judicial management of class actions for damages; Comments on local court rules and practices relating to class actions; Details of the report.
- What "Erin Brockovich" Failed to Tell You About the Realities of Class Action Litigation. Parmer, Geoffrey // Dispute Resolution Journal;May-Jun2002, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p19
Provides an overview of issues which may arise in class action litigation. Ethical considerations of the case; Need to educate the client about the legal issues involved in the suit; Adequacy of the class counsel.
- Lawyers gain more than class-action victims, poll finds. // Fairfield County Business Journal;02/05/2001, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p4
Presents the results of a survey on the beliefs of voters from Connecticut on the benefits of lawyers from class-action lawsuits. Better compensation of the lawyers from the lawsuits compared to the plaintiffs; Skepticism of the voters on the size of the awards; Protection of the citizens by...
- THE COLOR OF Money. Newman, Andrew Adam // Adweek;12/1/2008, Vol. 49 Issue 35, p14
The article focuses on racial diversity in advertising agency employment. Advertising has traditionally had one of the poorest records of employing African Americans and other minorities of any business. Cyrus Mehri, an attorney who filed successful workplace discrimination class-action lawsuits...
- Who Should Guard the Guardians? A New Approach for Monitoring Class Action Lawyers. Klement, Alon // Review of Litigation;Winter2002, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p25
Proposes a new approach to monitoring class action lawyers in the United States. Private monitoring by self-interested individuals and organizations; Monitor's fee; Selection of the monitor; Monitor's duty and authority; Controlling against collusion between class attorneys and monitors.
- A LOT OF PLAINTIFFS, BUT NO CLASS. Zinkewicz, Phil // Insurance Advocate;2/18/2002, Vol. 113 Issue 7, p6
Examines the intentions and prevailing attitudes towards class action lawsuits in the U.S. Original intention of the class action lawsuit; Views on the unethical practices of plaintiffs' attorneys; Efforts to achieve fairness through the Class Action Fairness Act of 2001.
- Attorney's Fees in Class Actions Governed by Fee-Shifting Statutes. Pacold, Martha // University of Chicago Law Review;Summer2001, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p1007
Proposes that the rules for setting fees in hybrid cases should better align the incentives of plaintiffs' attorneys with those of their clients. Exceptions to the United States rule for paying attorneys that combine in hybrid class actions; Methods of fee calculation; Solution to the...