A Subtle Reference Trap for Unwary Employers
- How to field calls about ex-employees. Perry, Phillip M. // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;10/1/93, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p42
Presents pointers in making appropriate employee reference policies. Restrained policies at Communications Channels; Getting all the requests in writing; Funneling requests through one person; Avoidance of varying from policy; Importance of accuracy; Giving references in writing; Obtaining...
- Reference checking dilemma: How to solve it. Kleiman, Lawrence S.; White, Charles S. // Supervision;Apr91, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p6
Presents methods in gathering information about employees as part of a supervisor's job. Collecting and providing reference information; Cause of reluctance in providing information; Recommendations when giving reference information; How to solve the reference checking dilemma.
- A new approach to reference checks. // Supervisory Management;Aug93, Vol. 38 Issue 8, p4
Discusses the importance of checking out employment references. Exaggeration by applicants.
- If you're asked for a letter of recommendation. // Supervisory Management;Sep93, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p11
Gives tips on writing letters of recommendation. Use of specific examples of past work performance; Negative letters as cause of libel suits; Suggestion of job anecdote file on each employee; Avoidance of nonspecific evaluative statements.
- Don't bother me with references, my mind's made up. // Supervisory Management;May95, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p5
Reports that companies usually tell recruiters not to bother gathering references on particular candidates because their resumes look good.
- Predicting performance with letters of recommendation. Aamodt, Michael G.; Bryan, Devon A. // Public Personnel Management;Spring93, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p81
Determines if the Peres and Garcia technique for analyzing the content of letters of recommendation would be valid in predicting performance of psychology instructors and graduate students. Leniency; Knowledge of the applicant; Reliability; Extraneous factors; Improving the validity of references.
- Choosing your allies. Hayes, Cassandra // Black Enterprise;May97, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p53
States that references plays an important role in job hunting. Some suggestions for getting the most out of your reference pool.
- N.J. teachers agree to suspend letter-writing boycott. Ponessa, Jeanne // Education Week;10/25/95, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p3
Reports on the decision of teachers in New Jersey regarding their boycott of writing recommendation letters for college-bound students. Plan of teachers to limit participation in other voluntary activities such as extracurricular projects; Ceasing of voluntary activities as a means of protest...
- Reference checking to improve hiring decisions. Disney, Mark // Industrial Management;Mar/Apr94, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p31
Discusses the importance of reference checks in making sound hiring decisions. Reference checking guidelines; Ideal professional reference contacts; Selection of reference questions; Conducting of reference checks; Cases in which quality reference was used in making hiring decisions.