California Lawmakers Mull Bond Issue to Close the Gap
- Chapter 9 among Detroit's few options. Kaffer, Nancy // Crain's Detroit Business;4/12/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 15, p17
The article suggests municipal bankruptcy as a remedy for budget deficits in the Detroit, Michigan. According to the Citizens Research Council of Michigan, the city is in danger of bankruptcy due to its decline revenue and increased expenses and describes the financial picture of the city in...
- California, Mired in Budget Stalemate, Readies $1.7B in GOs. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;6/13/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31656, p36
California is planning to market 1.7 billion dollars in general obligation bonds in the week following June 13, 2003 as analysts and investors express increasing concern over Sacramento's seeming inability to come to a compromise over how to solve the state's escalating budget crisis. Despite...
- When It Comes to Bankruptcy, One Size Doesn't Fit All. Palmer, Deryck // Bond Buyer;6/27/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33539, p28
In this article the author discusses the issues concerning bankruptcy of municipal bonds in the U.S. He mentions that municipal executives should consider to download a copy of Vallejo's filing and conduct a quick search-and-replace on the names and numbers that lead to two significant lessons...
- Vallejo, Calif., City Council to Weigh Filing for Bankruptcy Protection. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;5/6/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32872, p4
The article reports on the consideration of the Vallejo, California, City Council to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection. If the council approves the recommendation, the city will become the largest in the state to declare bankruptcy. The city and its enterprise funds had $201.1 million of...
- Rethinking local government structure. Wells, Mike // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/27/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 33, p13A
Expresses concern on the budget crisis facing Indiana in 2003. Estimated budget deficit of the state; State's inability to operate efficiently; Potential financial savings resulting from a streamlining of government operations.
- UC Regents deciding future of UCI Medical Center. Bosetti, Diana // Orange County Business Journal;04/21/97, Vol. 20 Issue 16, p4
Focuses on the public hearing scheduled for April 10, 1997, to discuss the future of UCI Medical Center, which suffered a budget deficit in 1996. Information on the operations of the institution; What factors contributed to the budget deficit it reported in 1996; Options available to the...
- Allen Park Distressed. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;8/15/2012, Vol. 381 Issue 33765, p9
The article reports on the data from a preliminary state-appointed review team which showed that Allen Park in Michigan is in a state of financial emergency.
- Those Weren't the Days. Tomasky, Michael // New York;10/21/2002, Vol. 35 Issue 36, p13
Reports the cuts made by Mayor Michael Bloomberg on the New York budget. Budget deficit of the Bloomberg administration; Images of the fiscal crisis in the 1970's; Effects of the crisis on the middle class.
- The Big Bad Deficit. // Dollars & Sense;May/Jun2010, Issue 288, p2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Marty Wolfson on the financial myths concerning government reduction of the budget deficit, another by Mike Epitropoulos on the financial crisis of Greece and one by Arthur McEwan on the issue of bond market...