Recent legal decisions affect you
- REVIEW OF CURRENT LITERATURE. Birschel, Dee // Benefits Quarterly;1996 Fourth Quarter, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p80
The article presents a review of the current literature on employee benefits, and allied issues. Conflict Preemption Versus Complete Preemption in ERISA Cases by Alan J. Hawksley and Julie D. Cox, says that there have been a growing number of legal cases involving state law causes of action...
- Labor law. // Reporter;Mar90, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p21
Focuses on labor law in the United States, highlighting the Supreme Court's ruling in the case of Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins, 109. Ct. 1775, 49 F.E.P. Cases 954 (1989), involving a Title VII plaintiff who establishes both legitimate and illegitimate motives in a contested employment decision. ...
- Waiver of discrimination claims upheld. Lissy, William E. // Supervision;Nov96, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p17
Presents cases of labor law pertaining to supervisors in the United States. Upholding of the waiver of discrimination claims by the Supreme Court in the case of `Spink versus Lockheed Corp.'; Firing of an employee for lying about hitting a co-employee; Improper suspension of an employee by a...
- Union-free statements in employee handbooks. Lissy, William E. // Supervision;Mar90, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p22
Focuses on labor-related cases of interest to industrial supervisors. Union-free statements in employee handbooks; Reporting of absences to a leadperson instead of a supervisor; Double jeopardy in discipline cases.
- The law at work. // Monthly Labor Review;Oct96, Vol. 119 Issue 10, p83
Presents information on several laws and rulings at work. Supreme Court's ruling in the National Football League (NFL) players case, Brown versus Pro Football Incorporated; Supreme Court decisions which extended important First Amendment protections to independent contractors.
- Performance appraisals can be a weapon for employees. Lissy, William E. // Supervision;Mar97, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p17
Presents several cases related with the labor laws in the United States. Cases pertaining to employees' performance appraisal; Provisions of the Civil Rights Acts; Regulations of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
- Recent legal decisions affect you. Barlow, Wayne E.; Hatch, D. Diane // Personnel Journal;Dec96, Vol. 75 Issue 12, p86
Presents various legal cases and issues involving employees and employers. Includes the affirmation of the dismissal of Mary Jo Krauel's Americans with Disabilities Act and Pregnancy Discrimination Act claims against Iowa Methodist Medical Center; Approval of the preliminary injunction for the...
- Legal checklist. Aikin, Olga // People Management;6/11/1998, Vol. 4 Issue 12, p23
Focuses on developments in employment case law in the United Kingdom as of June 1998. Details on `O'Neil v Symm and Co. Ltd.' and `Morse v Wiltshire County Council' cases.
- Employment law checklist. Aikin, Olga // People Management;11/7/1996, Vol. 2 Issue 22, p47
Provides information on cases for legal developments affecting the workplace. Case of Aspden versus Webbs Poultry and Meat Group (Holdings) on health dismissal; Case of Jones versus Secretary of State for Employment and James versus Greytree on frustration at the work; TC Cleaning Contractors...