- Desk Rage. Ashton, Alison // Working Mother;May2001, p20
Discusses ways to defuse frustration in the workplace in order to prevent violence. Screening for aggressive mindsets before hiring an employee; Importance of listening to an upset co-worker; Giving firm commitments to co-workers to minimize their frustration.
- Steps to Take to Avoid Workplace Violence. Wright, Teresa Burke // Credit Union Magazine;Jan2000, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p40
Gives advice on how to avoid violence in the workplace. How to check the background of candidates for employment; Adoption and enforcement of zero-tolerance policy; Preparation of a security plan.
- Bulletproof Practices. Grossman, Robert J. // HR Magazine;Nov2002, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p34
Discusses ways to prevent workplace violence in the U.S. Examples of workplace violence; Role of employers and human resource professional in preventing workplace violence; Information on the anti-violence zero tolerance policy in the country; Signs of possible workplace violence. INSETS:...
- Someone to Listen. Hirschman, Carolyn; Mirza, Patrick; Shea, Terence F. // HR Magazine;Jan2003, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p46
Focuses on the importance of setup and communication to the role of organizational ombudsmen who offer employees a confidential, discreet way to handle employees' problems. Advantages of ombudsmen to human resource professionals; Factors that prompt the growth of ombudsmen; Role of an...
- Talon: Premier Security Services. // Orange County Business Journal;7/30/2001-8/5/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 31, p71
Provides tips on how managers and supervisors can detect aberrant and dysfunctional behavior indicative of a propensity for violence among employees. Strategies to protect against workplace violence; Characteristics of employees with violent tendencies.
- AHHRM Conference. // People Management;9/30/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 19, p14
Presents news briefs on the Association of Healthcare Human Resources Management (AHHRM). Campaign for anti-violence in workplaces; Views on human resources by Hugh Taylor, president of AHHRM.
- Preventing workplace violence. Lenius // Supply House Times;Oct99, Vol. 42 Issue 8, p43
Offers tips on how to prevent workplace violence, according to the Security Industry Association. Development of pre-employment selection procedures to identify high-risk applicants; Provision of a 24-hour communication hotline to employees; Restriction or monitoring of entry or movement of...
- Advance Crisis Planning Proves Crucial in Atlanta. Dunn, Kelly // Workforce (10928332);Sep99, Vol. 78 Issue 9, p20
Discusses the importance of an Employee Assistance Program in preparation for workplace violence. One case involving day trader Mark Barton; How to assess a company's vulnerability to a workplace violence; Other factors to consider in preparing for such cases.
- Negligent Hiring: The Emerging Contributor to Workplace Violence in the Public Sector. Kondrasuk,, Jack N.; Moore,, Herff L.; Wang, Hua // Public Personnel Management;Summer2001, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p185
Studies negligent hiring practices as a major contributor to workplace violence. Employers found liable for acts of violence by employees; Hiring doctrines from a human resources perspective; Avoiding liability; Background checking policies to reduce violence.