Education: Clinical Review -- Obesity
- The procedure of mesh wrapping the gastric pouch in cadaver study. Ke Gong; Gagner, Michel; Bardaro, Sergio; Ueda, Kazuki // Surgical Endoscopy;Dec2007, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p2244
Dietary and behavioral modifications have resulted in limited long-term success in curing morbidly obese patients, and surgery remains the only effective treatment. Of the surgical procedures that are the most commonly offered, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) appears to offer the best long-term...
- Configuring bariatric bodies: exploring obesity surgery beyond the hospital. Porras, Jordi Sanz // Athenea Digital (Revista de Pensamiento e InvestigaciÃ³n Social);2006, p103
Bariatric surgery (surgery for obesity) is, in many cases, the last resort for the clinically overweight. Drawing on ethnographic materials in a unit of morbid obesity, this article explores how "bariatric bodies" are configured so that bariatric surgery is a sustainable solution beyond the...
- Portal and systemic levels of visfatin in morbidly obese subjects undergoing bariatric surgery. Karbaschian, Zohreh; Hosseinzadeh-Attar, Mohammad; Giahi, Ladan; Golpaie, Atefeh; Masoudkabir, Farzad; Talebpour, Mohammad; Kosari, Farid; Karbaschian, Nargess; Hoseini, Mostafa; Mazaherioun, Maryam // Endocrine (1355008X);Aug2013, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p114
The aim of the present study was to compare the levels of visfatin in portal and systemic circulations and to assess the possible relationship of visfatin with systemic inflammation and insulin resistance in morbidly obese patients undergoing bariatric surgery. A total of 46 morbidly obese...
- Ejercicio fÃsico y cirugÃa bariÃ¡trica. Mazure Lehnhoff, R. A.; Salgado Mijail, G.; Valencia, A.; Villarreal, P.; Cobo, B.; Peran, S.; Culebras, J. // Nutricion Hospitalaria;jul/ago2007, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p397
Obesity is a very serious problem at the 21st Century essentially affecting developed countries. It may be considered a pandemicity. Among predisposing factors for obesity here are, on the one hand, the new feeding habits with fat-and carbohydrate-rich pre-cooked foods, and in the other hand...
- OBESITY -- Issues and Implications. Arnhold, Robert W.; Auxter, David A. // Palaestra;Winter2004, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p5
Focuses on issues and implications concerning obesity. Annual cost of obesity in the U.S.; Example of a Federal public policy initiative against obesity; Percentage of adults who are considered obese.
- Pathways to obesity in a developing population: The Guangzhou Biobank Cohort Study. S Kavikondala; CM Schooling; CQ Jiang; WS Zhang; KK Cheng; TH Lam; GM Leung // International Journal of Epidemiology;Feb2009, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p72
Background â€˜Environmental mismatchâ€™ may contribute to obesity in rapidly developing societies, because poor early life conditions could increase the risk of obesity in a subsequently more socio-economically developed environment. In a recently developing population (from southern...
- A New Diet: Lawsuits and Advice From the Government. Rippel, Barbara; Smith, Frances // Consumers' Research Magazine;Aug2003, Vol. 86 Issue 8, p34
Focuses on the obesity problem in the U.S. Measures taken to combat obesity in the country; Potential targets for obesity according to trial lawyers; Reasons for obesity according to most physicians, dietitians, nutritionists and other scientists.
- Diagnosing & Treating Obesity. Plank, Suzi // American Chiropractor;Jan2005, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p28
The article reports on the diagnosis and treatment of obesity. Reports state that 60% of Americans are now either overweight or obese. Studies continue to indicate that obesity is now a statistically normal condition in the U.S., Great Britain, and even in China. The negative effects of obesity...
- Survival of the fattest. Tipps, Steve // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Nov2004, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p30
Shares an author's experience on obesity. Physical and emotional problems associated with obesity; Strengths and limitations of being overweight; Role of dodge ball game in loosing weight; Importance of physical education.