Can we stop the threatening global warming trend?
- Climate controls. Benford, Gregory // Reason;Nov97, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p24
Discusses how to approach global warming as a technical problem. Only way to counter global warming; Effect of suppressing fuel use to the states' economy; Simplest way to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere; Ways to capture half of the United States' carbon emissions.
- Engineering a cooler planet. Flanagan, Ruth // Earth;Oct96, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p34
Describes the processes for fixing global warming. Advantages of adding iron to the ocean in Geritol solution; Geoengineering techniques including solar sails or reflecting mirrors; Advantages of tree planting; Capturing carbon dioxides in smokestacks. INSETS: The pitfalls of...
- Climate change: Decision time in Kyoto. Smith, Richard // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/22/97, Vol. 315 Issue 7119, p1326
Calls for physicians' participation in the fight against global warming. Proposed solutions to the global warming problem; Commitment of governments to reduce emissions of green house gases; Energy consumption rates of Americans contributing to global warming.
- After Kyoto: A global scramble for advantage. Yandle, Bruce // Independent Review;Summer99, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p19
Discusses the Kyoto Protocol of 1997 and its differential effects across countries. Set carbon emission reduction goals for avoiding global warming; Resource costs of meeting the protocol; Justification of the cost of cartelization; Countries, firms and industries as behaving strategically in...
- Kyoto emissions treaty talks go down to the negotiating wire. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/15/97, Vol. 239 Issue 24, p11
Provides information on the outcome of the global warming negotiations that took place in Kyoto, Japan. Length of the conference; Information on Chairman Raul Estrada-Oyuela 's negotiating plans.
- Prologue. Steinman, David // Safe Trip to Eden: 10 Steps to Save Planet Earth from the Global;2007, pxvii
A prologue to the book "Safe Trip to Eden: 10 Steps to Save Planet Earth From Global Warming" by David Steinman is presented.
- Tend to your own house. Weissman, Robert // Environmental Action;Winter94, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p26
Reports on the failure of the joint implementation in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Refusal to confront the root causes of the global warming crisis; Four reasons why joint implementation is an idea that should be scrapped immediately; Evidence of advocates' insensitivity to issues of...
- Global warming. Udall, James R. // National Forum;Winter90, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p36
Discusses diplomatic challenges involved in developing a timely, equitable and effective strategy for abating global warming. Causes of global warming; Environmental impacts of global warming; Negation of reduced carbon dioxide emissions in rich countries by carbon dioxide emission increases in...
- Clinton offers plan to stop global warming. // Nation's Health;Nov97, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p1
Presents President Clinton's plan to drive off the threat of global warming. How businesses could benefit from the plan; Scheduled meeting in Japan for global warming treaty; Criticisms from environmentalist and industry groups.
- Global warming treaty hailed for now. // Pulp & Paper;Feb98, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p25
Discusses the details of the preliminary global warming treaty drafted by 38 countries in Kyoto, Japan. Possibility of delays in the treaty's approval; Provisions of the treaty; Reduction of greenhouse gases from 5.2 per cent from the 1990 levels.