Places of change: Special education's power and identity in an era of educational reform
Tags: SPECIAL education
- Lawyer: Michigan special education plans flawed. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;10/09/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30248, p34
Focuses on Michigan's billion-dollar funding dilemma concerning special education. Court ruling ordering the state to pay $211 million to plaintiff school districts; Passage of two plans addressing the state's arrearages in special education.
- Inclusion is happening in the classroom. Haas, Diane // Children Today;1993, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p34
Comments on the phase of special education known as full inclusion, which began in the 1980s. The Education of the Handicapped Act; The Individuals with Disabilities Act; Full inclusion and the need for support in the form of human and/or fiscal resources; Role of parents.
- Mold a brainy special-ed project. // Curriculum Review;Oct96, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p8
Reports that special-ed students at Spring Valley Elementary, Spring Valley, New York completed a project where they created models of the human brain using various materials. Details on the project.
- Special education for school-age children: The nigerian experience. Usoro, Udo A. // Guidance & Counseling;Mar94, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p20
Outlines the difficulties encountered and progress made in establishing special education programs for school-age children in Nigeria. Inaccessibility to facilities; Information dissemination; Referral service; Components of the Individual Education Program (IEP); Implementation of the national...
- Treatment acceptability: Determining appropriate interventions within inclusive classrooms. Polloway, Edward A.; Bursuck, William D. // Intervention in School & Clinic;Jan96, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p133
Discusses the likelihood that teachers will accept interventions for adapting instruction and accommodating students with disabilities in the general education classroom. Emphasis on the areas of homework, grading and testing; Treatment acceptability of interventions; Teacher-directed...
- Inclusive classroom management: Using preintervention strategies. Murdick, Nikki L.; Petch-Hogan, Beverly // Intervention in School & Clinic;Jan96, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p172
Discusses alternative intervention strategies for educational problems in the inclusive classroom prior to evaluating a student for special education placement. Preintervention strategies; Classroom management procedures; Instructional delivery; Reinforcement plan; Classroom rules.
- Linking an apartment school with an elementary school. Lovitt, Thomas C.; Perry, Leslie // Intervention in School & Clinic;Mar96, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p238
Describes the setting up of a school devoted to special education in an apartment complex in Seattle, Washington. Author's experiences on how they linked their apartment school with an elementary school; Project description; Objectives and aims of the project; Student selection; Curriculum; High...
- From product to process in curriculum planning: A view from Britain. Goddard, Alan // Journal of Learning Disabilities;May95, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p258
Discusses the rise of Individualized Education Program (IEP) in Great Britain for use in special education. Problems presented by the behavioral objectives model and its associated IEPs; Introduction of the process model as an alternative; Shift from product to process approach in curriculum...
- Responsible inclusion for students with learning disabilities. Vaughn, Sharon; Schumm, Jeanne Shay // Journal of Learning Disabilities;May95, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p264
Contrasts responsible with irresponsible inclusion practices for students with learning disabilities. Considering student and family first; Participation of teachers; Development and implementation of models at the school level; Maintenance of a continuum of services. INSET: Flamingo...