Praise, not pay
Tags: JOB satisfaction
- If you're happy and you know it, join HR. Pickard, Jane // People Management;07/24/97, Vol. 3 Issue 15, p14
Reports on the result of the questionnaires send out by the People Management magazine to 3,000 readers showing the key motivator for employees in the workplace. Behavior displayed by people who are happy with their jobs; Attitudes of employers leading to employees' discontent with the job.
- The dead end job. // Black Enterprise;Jul84, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p44
Do you feel that you're marking time? Here's what to do about your job when there are no more challenges left.
- Turning fun into fortune. // Black Enterprise;Feb1986, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p73
A look at the careers of 3 people with fun jobs--a photo stylist, a theatrical stage manager and a travel writer.
- Making your office user friendly. Whittingham-Barnes, D.; Davison, B. // Black Enterprise;Apr90, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p57
Addresses new ways that managers are customizing the workplace to meet the needs of employees. Assistance offered by design firms; Importance of careful planning; Initial costs; Diverse technologies reviewed; Ergonomic furniture. INSET: Office,sweet office (offices at home)..
- How satisfied with work will you be? // Career World;Oct95, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p2
Reports on the job satisfaction of Americans from 1974 to 1994. Satisfaction of self-employed.
- 10 tips for job satisfaction. Smith, Greg // Career World;Jan1997, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p6
Presents tips for achieving job satisfaction. Selection of a job that fits; Understanding of the job for more meaning to work activities; Being open for learning opportunities; Importance of mentor relationships; Flexibility; Getting along with the boss; Management of job stress effectively;...
- Mid-course correction. Bundles, A. // Essence (Essence);Jan1990, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p28
Opinion. Describes the author's mid-course correction, in which she transferred from a very demanding, to a less demanding job, and began nurturing herself.
- Purpose in Work. Soldier, L. Little // Humanist;Mar/Apr90, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p24
Examines the meaning of finding a purpose in work and fulfillment in life, throughout the ability to put oneself aside, to transcend ego-involvement. Theories of psychologists, Abraham Maslow and Charlotte Buhler and psychiatrist Viktor Frankl; Modern relationship to work; Personality...
- Make sure priorities are right when job hunting. Divita, Sal // Marketing News;11/20/95, Vol. 29 Issue 24, p8
Discusses the issues often overlooked by people concerning job satisfaction. People's interest in getting a job and not advancing in a career; Relationship between the employee and the boss; Effect on values; Contribution to the job; Where the position is leading.
- Taking control of career change. Cole, D. // Psychology Today;Nov89, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p29
Discusses how many executives are finding they must forge new career paths, take a job at a smaller company, or do something else which connotes to them a diminution of their career path. Several psychologists offer tips on keeping a positive attitude if such a situation arises.