The tyrant's physician
- The Private Life of Chairman Mao. Zhisui, Li; Thurston, Anne F. // U.S. News & World Report;10/10/94, Vol. 117 Issue 14, p54
Presents an excerpt from the book `The Private Life of Chairman Mao.' Recollections from Mao's long-time personal physician; Listing of twelve players in the intrigue that surrounded Mao. INSETS: The perilous art of keeping afloat;The woman who guarded the gate (Zhang Yufeng);The distrubed...
- Songs of a survivor. Rudolph, Barbara // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/17/94, Issue 42, p62
Features the book `The Private Life of Chairman Mao,' by Dr. Li Zhisui. Life of Zhisui as the personal physician of Mao Zedong.
- Biographies: Mao's one-night stands. R.W. // Newsweek;10/17/1994, Vol. 124 Issue 16, p76
Reviews the biography `The Private Life of Chairman Mao,' by Li Zhisui.
- Monster Mao. Aird, John S. // American Enterprise;May/Jun95, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p88
Reviews the book `The Private Life of Chairman Mao,' by Dr. Li Zhisui. INSET: Excerpts from The Private Life of Chairman Mao..
- Shattering the Mao myth. Munro, Ross H. // World & I;Jun95, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p327
Reviews the book `The Private Life of Chairman Mao,' by Li Zhisui. INSET: Postcript to Maoism, by R.H.M..
- The Emperor Has No Clothes. Mao's Doctor Reveals the Naked Truth. Wills Jr., John E. // Foreign Affairs;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p150
Reviews the book `The Private Life of Chairman Mao,' by Li Zhisui and edited by Anne F. Thurston.
- Chinese whispers. Buruma, Ian // New Yorker;2/13/95, Vol. 70 Issue 49, p82
Reviews the books `The Private Life of Chairman Mao,' by doctor Li Zhisui and `Deng Xiaoping, My Father,' by Maomao. Relation between health and tyranny; Private lives.
- A doctor's tale. MacFarquhar, Emily // U.S. News & World Report;10/10/94, Vol. 117 Issue 14, p48
Focuses on Mao Zedong, one of the most powerful men in history. Recollections of Mao's personal physician, Dr. Li Zhisui, who spent nearly 22 years in his service; Li's book, `The Private Life of Chairman Mao'; Little that is redeeming or uplifting in Li's story; View of Western scholars on Li's...
- Censored sex. Van Boven, Sarah; Howard, Lucy // Newsweek;10/2/1995, Vol. 126 Issue 14, p10
Reports on top Chinese officials from the Mao era denouncing the titillating memoirs of the chairman's doctor the late Li Zhisui to Random House. The book, published in the fall 1994, including salacious passages of Mao having sex with girls; How this, according to Chinese beliefs, was an...